New-ish pool turning green. HELP Please!

The water is clear. I actually tested this morning, but had not tested after dark last night.
This morning FC was 6.5, CC .5 TC 7
So do I test tonight after dark and before sunrise in the morning?
Also, do I add more bleach today or wait until after tomorrow morning's reading?

Off to read the SLAM link and brush!
Thanks a bunch!

Take the FC to SLAM level tonight for the OCLT. Let it circulate at least a half hour, then test FC & CC. Test again in the morn before the sun hits the pool.

In the morning, see red lines in my sig to see if you are done :smile:

If you are still in SLAM you should have your FC up at 16ppm. That would include during your OCLT as until you pass it you are not done.

At CYA 40 you should never be below 3 and you want to target around 5 daily AFTER you have completed your SLAM.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Until you pass all three you should be maintaining an FC of 16 at all times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just for clarification: every time I check my FC it should be at shock level or I add according to the TFP calculator, correct?

You want to maintain shock level so you need to be above it when you add and then add more as it drops to shock level. Anytime you fall below shock level you are losing ground. Once you get squared away you want to keep your FC level above the minimum for your CYA level at ALL times. I run 30 - 40 CYA and keep my chlorine between 5 and 8 so i have a little buffer if i can't add it right on schedule.

I think I get a bunch of organic matter off the trees which lowers my chlorine readings. First time my pool has not turned green after a rain.

It may be a stupid ? , but what does it mean to pump to waste? Is that just that it bypasses the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.