Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool smells a bit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool smells a bit?

Not sure if this is the right forum, so please move it if not...

But I'm wondering if higher pool temps can cause it to start smelling a bit? I would think no, but in the pool last night, temp at 87 (a bit warm), I felt like I was picking up a slight odor, kind of like a pond/swamp smell. I did find a couple of dead frogs in the skimmer baskets, and one in the bottom of the pool. I was shocked how that little itty bitty frog could smell...Maybe that was it, but if it wasn't, could a slight odor indicate a problem? My wife thought it was a wiff, in the hot night, of the pile of composting grass about 100' behind the pool in the woods, but I'm not so sure it was.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool smells a bit?

I would run a CC test to see if the pool is burning something off.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, run a FC and CC test and see where you are. If my pool gets that swampy smell, I get a little worried. But honestly that smell to me is less concerning than a big whiff of chloramines. Usually if I test when I get a slight swampy smell I'll find the FC has dropped to around 2-3, but luckily CC stays 0. I just put enough bleach in to bump it back up to 5-6 and all is well by the next day. This usually happens to me just as pool and ambient temperatures start to increase and I neglect to bump up the SWG to meet the increased needs.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll check. Tue night CC was 0
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

If it was my pool, I'd raise FC up near to target now; and, tonight raise to SLAM level and do an OCLT.

Noticing a smell (or a dull look to the water) is one of the first clues that something is amiss.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Three other things to consider:

1. If you use a pool cover, it can start to smell a bit. When rolled up, the warm water that is rolled up with it makes a nice growth area for algae. And if it is old, many of the "bubbles" may have holes, which also make cozy, protected breeding grounds for algae and bacteria.

2. Just having the cover on will trap any odors that would normally escape without being noticed. If the odor dissipates a minute after removing the cover, don't worry about it.

3. How is the sealant between the coping and the tile just below? If the sealant has eroded away, water can splash up under the coping and stagnate.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

7. Back To Top    #7

First, thanks for all the tips. I just got home from a work party so didn't grab a test for OCLT.

Anyway. No cover. Caulking is brand new. CC at 2pm was 0 and FC was 4 (right on target based on my cya of 60 right now). Water is crystal clear. Didn't notice any smell today. I think it may have been the two dead frogs. Gross! I boosted FC to 6 to give some extra help but I'm thinking it didn't need it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    FC was 4 (right on target based on my cya of 60 right now).
    Wait....What?

Cya of 60 has a target of 7 and a minimum of 5.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

OP has SWG listed in signature.

10. Back To Top    #10

Right, SWG system.