Is this normal FCL consumption!

Needsdecaf

Jun 28, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
See my signature for specs. Have an 8k gallon pool that is set up for SWG but not running on that yet since I'm just now getting out of the first month after plastering.

So I've figured out my earlier sides and have passed my OCLT with flying colors (last night 0,0 FCL consumption). Right now I have a trichlor puck in each skimmer as my CYA is under 40 and I am trying to bring it up a bit since I will be running SWG soon. Also, I am supplementing with bleach.

My FCL has been high 7's, low 8's overnight dropping to low to mid 3's when I test the next evening before supplementing with bleach.

My TA is 95, and my pH has been mid 7's. I've had to add acid two days in a row as it climbs from
7.5 or 7.6 to 7.9 to 8.0 during the day.

Is this much FCL consumption and pH climb normal? It has been very hot and sunny here in Houston.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I question the validity of the overnight loss test. Were there pucks in the skimmer releasing chlorine overnight?

Great point. However, two things. 1. I did an OCLT monitoring 3 nights with no pucks at all, and losses were at or near zero. 2. My pump shuts off at 6p and on at 8a so chlorine transfer during that time should be negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said your CYA level is 40, and you have an SWG. I didn't catch whether you added more stabilizer. Bump your CYA to 70 (as long as you have passed OCLT that is), and that should decrease your loss.

SWG is not on yet....will be starting tomorrow. I had to wait for the plaster / Wet Edge to cure. Part of the reason for using the pucks as sanitization right now is to bring up my CYA a bit in anticipation of the SWG going on. If it's not up to 70 tonight, I'll buy some stabilizer to run in there over the weekend.

We get strong, strong sun down here during the day too. By reading on here, and from what others have commented in other threads, a loss of 4 during the day didn't SEEM excessive when I had no CL going in other than bleach at night. But just making sure.

I wouldn't call it excessive. But if you raise your cya, even though you need a higher chlorine level you should see less chlorine loss per day.

Yeah, have to see what the CYA is up to after almost a week with tablets in.

Have to say that testing before going in this evening, FC level was in the high 5's. I credit that to my increased water turns. I increased the time my pump was on 50% and decreased the time it was on 30%. Yay for me!

Until tomorrow when it's all moot because the SALT GOES IN!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.