Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this normal FCL consumption!

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this normal FCL consumption!

See my signature for specs. Have an 8k gallon pool that is set up for SWG but not running on that yet since I'm just now getting out of the first month after plastering.

So I've figured out my earlier sides and have passed my OCLT with flying colors (last night 0,0 FCL consumption). Right now I have a trichlor puck in each skimmer as my CYA is under 40 and I am trying to bring it up a bit since I will be running SWG soon. Also, I am supplementing with bleach.

My FCL has been high 7's, low 8's overnight dropping to low to mid 3's when I test the next evening before supplementing with bleach.

My TA is 95, and my pH has been mid 7's. I've had to add acid two days in a row as it climbs from
    7.5 or 7.6 to 7.9 to 8.0 during the day.

Is this much FCL consumption and pH climb normal? It has been very hot and sunny here in Houston.

Thanks.

8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this normal FCL consumption!

I question the validity of the overnight loss test. Were there pucks in the skimmer releasing chlorine overnight?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been asking the same question, I'm also in Houston... it's been hot and sunny and my FC goes from over 7 to less than 3. They say 2-4 ppm consumption is normal, so we are flirting with the higher end of the normal range.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

His test was not really overnight in the 7 down to 3 example, it was a 24 hour period. His CYA is likely low yet. pH is going to climb a bit during breaking of that new plaster. It would actually be worse, but those pucks tend to drop pH a bit.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I question the validity of the overnight loss test. Were there pucks in the skimmer releasing chlorine overnight?
    Great point. However, two things. 1. I did an OCLT monitoring 3 nights with no pucks at all, and losses were at or near zero. 2. My pump shuts off at 6p and on at 8a so chlorine transfer during that time should be negligible.

8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

6. Back To Top    #6

You said your CYA level is 40, and you have an SWG. I didn't catch whether you added more stabilizer. Bump your CYA to 70 (as long as you have passed OCLT that is), and that should decrease your loss.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    You said your CYA level is 40, and you have an SWG. I didn't catch whether you added more stabilizer. Bump your CYA to 70 (as long as you have passed OCLT that is), and that should decrease your loss.
    SWG is not on yet....will be starting tomorrow. I had to wait for the plaster / Wet Edge to cure. Part of the reason for using the pucks as sanitization right now is to bring up my CYA a bit in anticipation of the SWG going on. If it's not up to 70 tonight, I'll buy some stabilizer to run in there over the weekend.

We get strong, strong sun down here during the day too. By reading on here, and from what others have commented in other threads, a loss of 4 during the day didn't SEEM excessive when I had no CL going in other than bleach at night. But just making sure.
    Link to my Build

8. Back To Top    #8

I wouldn't call it excessive. But if you raise your cya, even though you need a higher chlorine level you should see less chlorine loss per day.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    I wouldn't call it excessive. But if you raise your cya, even though you need a higher chlorine level you should see less chlorine loss per day.
    Yeah, have to see what the CYA is up to after almost a week with tablets in.

Have to say that testing before going in this evening, FC level was in the high 5's. I credit that to my increased water turns. I increased the time my pump was on 50% and decreased the time it was on 30%. Yay for me!

Until tomorrow when it's all moot because the SALT GOES IN!!!
    Link to my Build