Help!!! Cant keep pool clear

j_obru

Jul 10, 2014
Old Bridge, NJ
Hello, I am a first year pool owner and I have a 25,000 gallon IG pool. I have been having trouble all season. I got the pool clear but it starts to get cloudy around Tuesday every week. I shocked the pool on Monday night, by Tuesday evening their is no chlorine. I shocked it again on Tuesday night and by Wednesday evening their is no chlorine. I keep getting algae, I would say its mustard algae by the brownish color. I tested the water and the results are.

Chlorine - 0
Free Chlorine - 0
PH - 7.6
CYA - 40
TDS - 400
Alkalinity - 60

I was told the TDS was off and the from nitrides in the water so I drained a foot of water and it is filling back up as we speak.

I have an automatic vacuum that works well and use everyday or every other day. I have been using 3 inch chlorine tablets. Power plus shock, pool perfect plus phos free and I tried the leslie's unltra clear which does clear up the water pretty good but it keeps going back to a cloudy green. I am going to buy the leslies algaecide stuff to see if that helps.

Any help is really appreciated since this is starting to cost a lot of money. PS I have sand filter and NO inline chlorinator.

Welcome to TFP!

You need to stop with the tabs since your CYA level is at 40ppm and get some chlorine in the pool. Tabs are next to worthless because they add chlorine too slowly and add CYA too fast. Liquid pool shock of unscented bleach are the best options. Follow the process for SLAMing Your Pool, and when completed revert to evening liquid chlorine additions and it will stay clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.