Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help!!! Cant keep pool clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Help!!! Cant keep pool clear

Hello, I am a first year pool owner and I have a 25,000 gallon IG pool. I have been having trouble all season. I got the pool clear but it starts to get cloudy around Tuesday every week. I shocked the pool on Monday night, by Tuesday evening their is no chlorine. I shocked it again on Tuesday night and by Wednesday evening their is no chlorine. I keep getting algae, I would say its mustard algae by the brownish color. I tested the water and the results are.

Chlorine - 0
    Free Chlorine - 0
    PH - 7.6
    CYA - 40
    TDS - 400
    Alkalinity - 60

I was told the TDS was off and the from nitrides in the water so I drained a foot of water and it is filling back up as we speak.

I have an automatic vacuum that works well and use everyday or every other day. I have been using 3 inch chlorine tablets. Power plus shock, pool perfect plus phos free and I tried the leslie's unltra clear which does clear up the water pretty good but it keeps going back to a cloudy green. I am going to buy the leslies algaecide stuff to see if that helps.

Any help is really appreciated since this is starting to cost a lot of money. PS I have sand filter and NO inline chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help!!! Cant keep pool clear

Welcome to TFP!

You need to stop with the tabs since your CYA level is at 40ppm and get some chlorine in the pool. Tabs are next to worthless because they add chlorine too slowly and add CYA too fast. Liquid pool shock of unscented bleach are the best options. Follow the process for SLAMing Your Pool, and when completed revert to evening liquid chlorine additions and it will stay clear.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

when buying the bleach what is the best way to put it in the pool? pour it by the skimmer or pour it in front of the 2 return line jets?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by j_obru View Post
    when buying the bleach what is the best way to put it in the pool? pour it by the skimmer or pour it in front of the 2 return line jets?
    How to add each chemical is in this article in pool school. There's a link within that leads to the discussion on how to chlorinate, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I always pour it slowly in front of the returns. You really dont want to pour it directly in the skimmer. Not good for the pipes.

16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter