Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get pH to stabilize

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get pH to stabilize

Relatively new to TFP, loving this method. Pool hasn't looked better in almost 20 years of ownership. The problem (?) I'm having now is getting pH to stabilize. Test results:

FC: 4.5 (I try to keep this around 7, haven't added daily dose yet today, usually lose 3ppm per day)
    CC:0
    pH: 7.6 (try to keep around 7.0 or 7.2 as was suggested to reduce scaling and stains)
    TA: 70 (down from 120)
    CH: 270 (up from 250 since end of May)

On 8 July, pH was 7.6, I added 44 oz MA to bring down to 7.2, yesterday was 7.3, and today back to 7.6. That's just the past few days, but that's pretty indicative of what's been happening the past couple of months.

Is this because I'm trying to keep pH low, and if I let it go to 7.6 or 7.8 it would level out? I'm so new to pool care (took over management from husband who was ready to fill it in) that I don't really know how it would behave under normal circumstances.

Stains are looking better, which is a good thing.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Smeade; 07-10-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Add comment about pool capacity
    24K gallon IG gunite (built 1976), plaster (Diamond Brite) redone (poorly) 2012
    Hayward EC65A DE filter Taylor K2006-C test kit
    Ft. Wright, KY (Cincinnati area)

Don't argue. Just get the kit. TF100 or Taylor K2006C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get pH to stabilize

Are these stains Calcium deposits you're lifting? If so, what you're describing is normal. It reacts with the acid, and the pH climbs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Can't get pH to stabilize

Yes, I believe them to be calcium. So it sounds like things are working as expected and I need to keep buying muriatic acid.

Thanks for the reply, Richard320!
    24K gallon IG gunite (built 1976), plaster (Diamond Brite) redone (poorly) 2012
    Hayward EC65A DE filter Taylor K2006-C test kit
    Ft. Wright, KY (Cincinnati area)

Don't argue. Just get the kit. TF100 or Taylor K2006C