Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarification on the CYA 24 hour pump rule

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarification on the CYA 24 hour pump rule

I'm adding Aqua Chem stabilizer to my pool in order to increase CYA. I'm using the sock in skimmer method. I have two skimmers and I've added 1.5 pounds of CYA granules, per sock, to each.

Pool School says run the pump for 24 hours after adding stabilizer. Does this mean I run the pump for 24 hours AFTER the stabilizer is fully dissolved? Or was the intention that I run the pump as long as takes to ensure the granules have been fully dissolved, so that the pump is not off while undissolved stabilizer is still in the skimmer?
    34K, IG, Charcoal Marquis aggregate finish, Jandy stealth pump, cartridge filter, Built '07, TFT-100, Aquapure SWG, Solar heating with Goldline controller, Polaris 380 Blackmax

2. Back To Top    #2

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Re: Clarification on the CYA 24 hour pump rule

Run the pump until the granules are dissolved, for the second reason you indicated as CYA is acidic.

3. Back To Top    #3

You should run the pump for 24 hours after adding CYA, even if they dissolve quickly. If they don't all dissolve it is good, but not as important, to keep the pump running longer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay. As an aside, is there a problem with running the pump for 48 hours or more? In case the initial amount doesn't dissolve?
    34K, IG, Charcoal Marquis aggregate finish, Jandy stealth pump, cartridge filter, Built '07, TFT-100, Aquapure SWG, Solar heating with Goldline controller, Polaris 380 Blackmax

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kr8434 View Post
    Okay. As an aside, is there a problem with running the pump for 48 hours or more? In case the initial amount doesn't dissolve?
    Only negative I see is paying a little more to electrical utility company
    12' x 18' Oval Above Ground Pool (buried 2')
    Manufacturer states ~5,000 gallons
    Pentair CC75 Cartridge Filter System 1-HP Opti-Flo Pump
    Bleach Chlorination Method
    Aquabot Junior Vacuum

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
    Only negative I see is paying a little more to electrical utility company
    +1 ^^
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

This is very good advice on running the pump after CYA additions. I've always assumed my huge pump and small pool (I turn the water about every 1.5 hours) meant I didn't need to worry much about how quickly CYA dissolved. I just added it to the skimmer a cup or so at a time.

After just 3.5 years my pump basket had to be replaced. The bottom of the basket was coming apart and the entire basket looked like it had been eroded by something. Luckily, my filters are fine and it only cost $15 to replace the basket. I'll be doing the sock method and running the pump for 24 hours in the future.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit