Need advice on new huge sand filter to replace my puny filter

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
I have a 14,000 gallon above ground pool. It uses a older Hayward sand filter "GM series high flow". It has a effective filteration rate of around 1.2 which I was told is very small. As a result to keep my water clear I have to run the pump 24/7. I put it on a timer once where I had it cut off at around 10pm and cut on about 6am and the water started to turn cloudy in days. Anyway I found a S244T (3.1 filteration rate) on craigslist for 75 bucks (http://smd.craigslist.org/for/4554945891.html). I was told by some on here that I should get the biggest filter I can get. I have a Hayward Powerflow 1HP pump. Is the pump too small for the filter? Also Is this a good buy for my situation?

Your pump will be fine with the S244T.

If you have problems keeping the water clear, it is almost certainly a chemistry issue, not a filter issue. A small filter will get dirty and need to be cleaned more frequently, but shouldn't have any problem keeping the water clear even with relatively short pump run times.

Your pump will be fine with the S244T.

If you have problems keeping the water clear, it is almost certainly a chemistry issue, not a filter issue. A small filter will get dirty and need to be cleaned more frequently, but shouldn't have any problem keeping the water clear even with relatively short pump run times.

This year I did really well because I kept my pool covered the entire time this winter. When I removed the cover I could see the bottom but the water was somewhat cloudy. I had changed my filter sand (only takes one 50 lb bag). I also replaced my spider gasket and overhauled the top of the valve body (gasket etc...). The laterals were in good condition (no cracks etc). When I SLAMed the pool and turned the filter on within a couple of days the pool became crystal clear. I continued to run the pool filter for the next few weeks. Directly afterwards I decided to put it on the schedule. Almost immediately when I put it on the schedule the pool became cloudy. I was checking my chlorine level every few days and adding a gallon of bleach every time it was going to 0.

So I'm a little confused what is the difference of a 1.2 effective v.s. 3.1 effective if they both filter the same? Does a bigger filter (3.1) filter better then my old filter?

Undersized Sand Filter v.s. Oversized Sand Filter

So I have a 24' x 4' round above ground pool. The sand filter on it is a Hayward GM series (50 lb sand) filter. It has a effective Filtration rate of around 1.2. I was told early on by persons on this forum that this is way too small and that I should at least have a 2.X effective filtration rate. Anyway yesterday I picked up a really cheap 3 year old S244T which has a filtration rate of around 3.1 I have a 1HP Powerflow which is supposed to get around 40GPM (I believe, but the manual indicates it's supposed to be a 1.5hp motor, but when I look at the motor the sticker says 1HP?).

Anyway my thought is if I use this filter with the pump I need to run my pump much less? My other question is will the new filter have more resistance and lower my GPM, in which case it's counterproductive?

What you are calling the "rate" is probably the effective sq feet of filtering area. My ST244T says 3.14 sq feet, so that is right inline with what you are saying.

Pump size - I've used that filter with a Hayward powerflo2 .75 HP pump - works just fine. That pump is usually used for above ground pools, but it will also work for smaller inground pools.

As stated before - your murky water is more likely a chemistry issue than anything else. Get your chemistry sorted out and the water should clear up. But you also need to filter "enough" - and that can vary .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.