New pool setup, newbie operator - Chemicals?

layla2052

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2014
Northeast Alabama
We just set up a previously owned 33' round AGP that we bought from another individual's family. We think the pool is about 8-10 yrs old so do not know all the exacts about the equipment that came with it, just what I have posted at the bottom and that was researched or bought new by us. Pool has had water in it for about 4 days and is finally at the full level (after working out some initial leaks around the plumbing). Next step, getting the chemicals right. Initial readings, taken this morning, are posted below:

FC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 170
CYA - 0
BR - 0

The Pool calculator tells me that I need 220 oz of 6% bleach. I understand from reading in this forum that I need to add this in the evening and then check the levels in the morning to see where I am. My questions are, is this the amount to get it to regular operating levels? If so, would the pool be safe to use? If not, is a shock amount what needs to happen at first then wait for it to come back to acceptable levels before using? Adding the bleach changes the other numbers, I'm assuming, so can someone walk me through the actual steps I need to take so I get this right the first time? Approximately how long is the pool expected to be out of commission while we're getting the chems right? That's a lot of water to mess up.

My 7 yo granddaughter is visiting through the weekend and would hate to keep her from using the pool while she's here, hence a lot of my questions about how to treat the water but yet want her to be able to use it too. And help and/or advice is absolutely welcome! Thanks in advance. :)

33’ Round AGP, 26,500 gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Basic 5 way test kit

Start by adding some CYA. The recommended level is between 30 and 50. It is best not to go all the way to 50 just at first, since adding to much accidentally can be a problem. Better to target 30 to start, and raise it some more as needed in a week.

I recommend lowering the PH to 7.2 any time it gets to 7.8 until TA comes down into range.

You want to add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after adding CYA. At that point you switch over to maintaining an appropriate FC level based on your CYA level.

Thanks for your reply, Jason. I am picking up chemicals today to get started on your advice and I feel I will be asking a few more stupid questions until I can get more educated on this method of pool care. Speaking of that:

1) How much is 2 ppm on 26500 gallons (layman's terms on quantity of the chlorine)?
2) If I start the CYA today using the sock method I read about here, do I start adding the chlorine today as well or wait until 24 hrs have passed after starting the CYA before starting the chlorine?
3) Will adding these two things reduce the pH as you suggested or will I need to get muriatic acid today as well?
4) Can the pool be used during these processes (hopefully)?

Thanks for all your help!

At the top of this page is a button for PoolMath, this is how you determine how much of each chemical to add. Here are the directions on how to use it:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator
Once you add the CYA, estimate that amount in the PoolMath calculator so you don't get FC too low.

Go ahead and add chlorine now.

You'll need the acid to lower pH.

Pool can be used after about 30 min to an hour after adding the MA and bleach. CYA can continue to hang in the sock while swimming. Kids can even squeeze it occasionally if they wish.

Update on where I am with the pool after two weeks of following instructions from you great advisers....

From last post, I began using 6% liquid bleach to keep the FC between 2-3 until my Taylor K-2006 kit got here. Once it arrived, I checked all the levels it would check and ordered LaMotte's Borate test strips at that time. This is what I had:

FC - 2.5
pH - 7.8
TA - 180
CH - 0
CYA - <30
BR - 0

Test strips arrived next day (fast!) and Borates at 0, of course. Using PoolMath, this is what I have added over the two week period:

6 lbs of stabilizer (in stocking in front of return), added one gal of MA to reduce TA to 140 (also reduced pH to 7.2), changed return angle to aerate surface for a few days to raise pH to 7.8 again, added another gal MA yesterday. This out the pH down to 7.0 and TA at 125. The return is still aerating (pump runs 24/7) so pH will go back up a bit shortly. FC maintained between 2-4 throughout this process. Started another 1 lb stabilizer yesterday (my target is 30-35). Pool water has been beautifully clear and sparkling the whole time (to the envy of my friends with pools). ;)

My goal is to get the TA on down so I can add Borates as a conditioner and to help maintain the water. I believe I read the TA should go to 70-90, maintaining the pH balances, before adding the borates so that is where I am going with the "add MA, let it aerate, add more, aerate some more" process.

Am I on the right track or is there something I should be doing differently? I am not hurrying the process as I understood CYA levels and such take a few days, sometimes, to show their true levels on the tests. I don't want to make a mistake on this much water. I am rather enjoying proving my pool store friends wrong that their way is the only way so thanks so much for you guys and this forum! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.