Pool chemical safety/ newbie!

Cyric

Jul 9, 2014
Orlando
Ive gone to this site before, i am 15 and love my pool, but havent used it in about a year, its pretty clean it gets brushed once a week, we keep 2 tablets of chlorine in the system always, but a piece of dog poop has fallen in maybe once a year

We have a nature2 and a cartridge filter, with a skimmer and a floating chlorine inserter also, there are lots of bugs floating on top and there all dead

my questions
1: how can i get rid of the dead bugs there super tiny
2: is my pool safe even if dog poop has fallen in(its gone now)
3: is 3, 3 inch tablets of 12oz chlorine good for my pool

Welcome to TFP!

1) They should be cleared by the skimmer. You may need to adjust the circulation so the skimmer skims more efficiently.
2) You should raise to shock level for 24 hours.
3) 3 tablets is too much for 8,000 gallons. Keep in mind that tablets are not a great idea in the first place. Tablets constantly add CYA, which will eventually get too high, causing serious problems.

If you post a full set of test results we can give you much more specific advice.

Ok sweet, this weekend im doing a lot for my pool, adding a new Nature2, i am gonna buy some test trips from my pool store hopefully those are good enough and were gonna get our water tested at the store

Want me to take some pics of my pool for just a quick scan of any advice you guys have?

Slightly cloudy pool

Merged by moderator. Please keep your related posts together for continuity of story and so as to not repeat questions. Thanks, jblizzle.

I have an 8,000 gallon pool, i have 3 8oz tabs of chlorine in my special dispenser that floats around

I use a cartridge filter and a Nature2, i washed my filter yesterday and shocked it, it has adequate chlorine, and the filter is kinda clean, a little green but it needs replacement anyways

my pool is sparkly and nice, i brushed it and the floor is pretty clear but the pool is slighly cloudy, i dont know how though

Re: Slightly cloudy pool

Effectively removing algae takes more than just a single addition of a shock product.

Start by reading through the SLAM process in Pool School:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Also, we need a full set of pool test results, and please include the method used to get the results. Best results are gained by using one of the recommended test kits such as the TF-100 from http://www.tftestkits.net.

If you search on Nature2, you'll find they aren't much loved around here. Metals cause issues in pool water.

We do not recommend the use of nature 2 due to the added copper leading to possible staining and green hair. Return it if you can.

No the test strips are not good enough and pool store testing is almost worse as it can be so inaccurate and comes with horrible advice.

If you maintain adequate FC which is a function of your CYA, then there is not need for a weekly "shock".
TFPC is based on accurate testing and adding only what the pool needs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool School is an excellent source of information. I don't recommend reading it all at once. It will get overwhelming and your head will explode. As JVTrain said, ABC's of Water Chemistry is a very good start. Once you've been through that one a couple of times pick another subject.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.