Chlorine off the chart

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
My family added way to much dichlor to our 10,500 gallon intex pool last month. Lesson learned- I know all about how not to ever screw this up again!

Over the weekend our pool became green and we had to add tons of chlorine - 15 gallons of bleach and 4 lbs of 73% chlorine shock - to get water clear.

Cya- probably about 100. Drained pool about 1/4 and refilled with much more than was in it to start with . Was probably about 150
PH- 7.5
Alkalinity-100
FC-I have no idea. I went to Leslie's pool store thinking they could tell me. They were guessing something over 10.. I thought they used computer equipment... Turns out they use the same color scale I have at home.

So... Now I have a nice clear pool with ridiculously high CYA.... Other than empty it totally--- any suggestions on how to maintain it for the rest of summer? I have no idea how much chlorine to add each day. No more dichlor though- learned my lesson.

Sounds like you need to invest in one of the recommended test kits and get some real testing done. You may need to replace more water to lower the CYA and then use the chart in the handy reference section of Pool School to determine the required FC level fit your CYA.

Thanks- by the way, I went to Leslie's because I do believe that somewhere on here someone recommended they have a good test kit comparable to the Taylor 2006 c .... And they do.....but I fail to see how that kit shows chlorine over 10 ppm . Pool is clear now- my best estimate is FC is 10 using test strips and a kit.

The important thing is I learn how to never get here again. This is my third house and pool. The first one I used pristine blue. The second I used more the TFP method, and then now I was in a hurry and bought dichlor in Sam's.... I'll never do that again!
jetyra7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks- by the way, I went to Leslie's because I do believe that somewhere on here someone recommended they have a good test kit comparable to the Taylor 2006 c .... And they do.....but I fail to see how that kit shows chlorine over 10 ppm . Pool is clear now- my best estimate is FC is 10 using test strips and a kit.
You probably got the Leslie's branded Taylor K-2005 "DPD Complete Chlorine Kit" which is NOT the kit you want since it only has a DPD chlorine test that can't measure above 10 ppm reliably. The equivalent to the Taylor K-2006 at Leslie's is the Taylor 81329 Chlorine Fas-DPD Service Test Kit. However, the TFTestkits TF-100 is a better deal and you can even get the Taylor K-2006 there for far less than Leslie's. See Test Kits Compared in the Pool School.

The test kit in question is the TF100. Both it and the K-2006 have the FAS-DPD test that can measure FC up to 50 ppm. It's remarkable that you've been a member here for four years and still haven't invested in a proper test kit.

Guilty as charged Richard! I limped along all summer and still have a pool with chlorine off the charts I bet!

I'm buying a kit right now and was curious what the users though would be the best combination of products to get me to the $80 free shipping @ http://tftestkits.net
I'm definitely getting the TF-100

More FAS-DPD reagents which are good if you need to SLAM. If you don't, I would get the SpeedStir at least.

Their pressure gauges are really nice too. Same price as the junk you will find locally with the free shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guilty as charged Richard! I limped along all summer and still have a pool with chlorine off the charts I bet!

well if your CYA is as high as you think it is, your chlorine levels most likely aren't off the chart. with CYA that high, you are going to need to be that high.

- - - Updated - - -

More FAS-DPD reagents which are good if you need to SLAM. If you don't, I would get the SpeedStir at least.

Their pressure gauges are really nice too. Same price as the junk you will find locally with the free shipping.

I will vouch for that! definitely buy an extra bottle of the R-0871 reagent. you use that up quick! I used a whole bottle for the SLAM I just completed, over 5 days. you use lots of drops to figure out your high FC. don't need extra powder since you only use 1 scoop either way, but the reagent goes quick. that's $10.50 on there.

LOL! (the big red X)

I'd hang onto it actually.

if it's just tabs or shock with calcium or stabilizer....you might be able to use it if you lack either some time.

I have two buckets of shock and tabs I will likely NEVER use but might someday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.