Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine off the chart

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine off the chart

My family added way to much dichlor to our 10,500 gallon intex pool last month. Lesson learned- I know all about how not to ever screw this up again!

Over the weekend our pool became green and we had to add tons of chlorine - 15 gallons of bleach and 4 lbs of 73% chlorine shock - to get water clear.

Cya- probably about 100. Drained pool about 1/4 and refilled with much more than was in it to start with . Was probably about 150
    PH- 7.5
    Alkalinity-100
    FC-I have no idea. I went to Leslie's pool store thinking they could tell me. They were guessing something over 10.. I thought they used computer equipment... Turns out they use the same color scale I have at home.

So... Now I have a nice clear pool with ridiculously high CYA.... Other than empty it totally--- any suggestions on how to maintain it for the rest of summer? I have no idea how much chlorine to add each day. No more dichlor though- learned my lesson.
    Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine off the chart

Sounds like you need to invest in one of the recommended test kits and get some real testing done. You may need to replace more water to lower the CYA and then use the chart in the handy reference section of Pool School to determine the required FC level fit your CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorine off the chart

Thanks- by the way, I went to Leslie's because I do believe that somewhere on here someone recommended they have a good test kit comparable to the Taylor 2006 c .... And they do.....but I fail to see how that kit shows chlorine over 10 ppm . Pool is clear now- my best estimate is FC is 10 using test strips and a kit.

The important thing is I learn how to never get here again. This is my third house and pool. The first one I used pristine blue. The second I used more the TFP method, and then now I was in a hurry and bought dichlor in Sam's.... I'll never do that again!

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

The test kit in question is the TF100. Both it and the K-2006 have the FAS-DPD test that can measure FC up to 50 ppm. It's remarkable that you've been a member here for four years and still haven't invested in a proper test kit.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard. Your point is true - I moved a couple of times under career duress and just got in hurry on things. Lesson learned.

TFTest Kits TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cfclay View Post
    Thanks- by the way, I went to Leslie's because I do believe that somewhere on here someone recommended they have a good test kit comparable to the Taylor 2006 c .... And they do.....but I fail to see how that kit shows chlorine over 10 ppm . Pool is clear now- my best estimate is FC is 10 using test strips and a kit.
    You probably got the Leslie's branded Taylor K-2005 "DPD Complete Chlorine Kit" which is NOT the kit you want since it only has a DPD chlorine test that can't measure above 10 ppm reliably. The equivalent to the Taylor K-2006 at Leslie's is the Taylor 81329 Chlorine Fas-DPD Service Test Kit. However, the TFTestkits TF-100 is a better deal and you can even get the Taylor K-2006 there for far less than Leslie's. See Test Kits Compared in the Pool School.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The test kit in question is the TF100. Both it and the K-2006 have the FAS-DPD test that can measure FC up to 50 ppm. It's remarkable that you've been a member here for four years and still haven't invested in a proper test kit.

Guilty as charged Richard! I limped along all summer and still have a pool with chlorine off the charts I bet!

I'm buying a kit right now and was curious what the users though would be the best combination of products to get me to the $80 free shipping @ http://tftestkits.net
    I'm definitely getting the TF-100

TFTest Kits TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Most people get the XL option and the speed stir, which should take you over $80.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the tip. That will well get me over the $80. What's in the XL addition?

TFTest Kits TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

More FAS-DPD reagents which are good if you need to SLAM. If you don't, I would get the SpeedStir at least.

Their pressure gauges are really nice too. Same price as the junk you will find locally with the free shipping.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cfclay View Post
    Guilty as charged Richard! I limped along all summer and still have a pool with chlorine off the charts I bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well if your CYA is as high as you think it is, your chlorine levels most likely aren't off the chart. with CYA that high, you are going to need to be that high.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    More FAS-DPD reagents which are good if you need to SLAM. If you don't, I would get the SpeedStir at least.

Their pressure gauges are really nice too. Same price as the junk you will find locally with the free shipping.
    I will vouch for that! definitely buy an extra bottle of the R-0871 reagent. you use that up quick! I used a whole bottle for the SLAM I just completed, over 5 days. you use lots of drops to figure out your high FC. don't need extra powder since you only use 1 scoop either way, but the reagent goes quick. that's $10.50 on there.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

12. Back To Top    #12

Well we are going to drain the pool partially to fix the high cya

TFTest Kits TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

good call
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

14. Back To Top    #14

I just got the kit and open my pool and found that my CYA is about 110. I'm draining to about 18 inches. More to come soon.

TFTest Kits TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Now you are starting to be in control
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

When I walk into my shed… This 5 gallon bucket is still laughing at me as if saying "I'm still here…"

Time to give that stuff away on craigslist

TFTest Kits TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

LOL! (the big red X)

I'd hang onto it actually.

if it's just tabs or shock with calcium or stabilizer....you might be able to use it if you lack either some time.

I have two buckets of shock and tabs I will likely NEVER use but might someday.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

18. Back To Top    #18

I believe this is Dichlor granules. And while I was out working… My wife just kept adding more and more one week. And now here we are with the CYA of 110

TFTest Kits TF-100