Bleach is Harsh? Tell That to my Swim Suits and Goggles

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
After nearly three seasons of very regular use, my swim goggles finally gave out. I actually purchased a 3-pack of these goggles before I joined TFP. The first pair did not last the full season. About the time I began using the second pair, I learned about TFP and switched to the TFPC method. Same goggles-same make-same package. The second pair lasted 3 times longer and the only thing that changed is how I manage the pool. I'm also finding that swim suits are lasting longer.

Now, what was that about bleach being harsh compared to other forms of chlorine?

I have had the same discussion many times with people, the biggest was my sister regarding the smell of "Chlorine" in pools and way my nieces eyes turn red and hair to green. I could not get it through her head that the pools she is in are not sanitized and needed more chlorine. But she is a no it all and would not listen even with Chemistry. I had 4-6 kids in my pool for 10 days straight 3 weeks ago. All no red eyes, no green hair, no dry skin and no bleached suits. The only thing that was mentioned with a minor salt taste. Sign me up next door in the looney bin.

I still have a pair of trunks that I got when we installed our pool in 2005. I take them in the house and put them through the laundry at the end of every pool season. Otherwise they just drip-dry without ever rinsing that nasty bleach out of them. They actually are showing some wear, which I don't think I've ever experienced on swimming trunks.

I think the line that you hear about "bleach is harsh" is actually true IF the bleach is used with NO stabilizer. Not that you or any other devotee of TFP would ever do such a silly thing. We know better. No wild and crazy unstabilized bleach for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.