Accidentally bought granular chlorine instead of tablets...best way to use it up?

PoolnTN

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2014
Tennessee
Ran into the store and grabbed the box just like what the tablets come in...got home and opened it and I bought granular. Obviously I don't have any inline system. What's the best way to use it up? Put it in hose or a sock and throw it in a skimmer? I couldn't find any floating chlorine dispensers that would work with granular.

Ran into the store and grabbed the box just like what the tablets come in...got home and opened it and I bought granular. Obviously I don't have any inline system. What's the best way to use it up? Put it in hose or a sock and throw it in a skimmer? I couldn't find any floating chlorine dispensers that would work with granular.

I gotta ask, what are you doing with the evil tablets/granular? When my FIL used granular he'd disperse it around the pool. Of course my suggestion would be to sell that garbage on craigslist. :p

Is it dichlor or cal-hypo? Does it have anything else in it, like copper? If it is dichlor or has copper in it then you should not use it at all. If it is cal-hypo and your CH isn't too high you could use it. Very slowly pour it in front of the return to dose.

Not that i recommend any solid chlorine ;)

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Well $@&. Did not know that solid chlorine was a no go with the TFP method. I just knew not to use it during the SLAM because it was time release.

I mainly got the solid chlorine to use when we were going to be away from the pool for extended periods of time and wouldn't be able to add liquid bleach for several days.

Below is what I bought.

I don't consider powders to be time release. In the case of dichlor, I spread it across the surface of the water and sweep the pool to mix it in. With your vinyl liner, you probably need to be very careful using this method to not let it sit on the liner at all. May even make sense to dilute it with water first.

And yes, I've used dichlor. When I was starting my pool and CYA was zero. :)

The "other ingredients" worries me too. Clarifier is not something you want in your pool "just because". Also it lists "sun protector", makes me wonder if there is extra CYA in it. Trichlor already has CYA like Richard pointed out, if you are already using trichlor pucks you don't want to raise it any faster with powdered trichlor or dichlor.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Richard320,
It was 35 the last time I tested but I need to retest because I've added some water and had a rain.

RobbieH,

Me either. I was just trying to think of a way to "sort of" make it time release by putting it in a sock or something.

Donaldson,

I'm not using anything at this time, other than adding chlorine (I just recently got done with the SLAM).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.