Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Accidentally bought granular chlorine instead of tablets...best way to use it up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Accidentally bought granular chlorine instead of tablets...best way to use it up?

Ran into the store and grabbed the box just like what the tablets come in...got home and opened it and I bought granular. Obviously I don't have any inline system. What's the best way to use it up? Put it in hose or a sock and throw it in a skimmer? I couldn't find any floating chlorine dispensers that would work with granular.
    32,500 gallon L-shaped IG vinyl, Built in early 1980's
    Aquabot Turbo T Jet
    Century Centurion 1.5hp pump
    Hayward sand filter: 300lb, filter rate 20GPM/ft2, flow rate 62 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Accidentally bought granular chlorine instead of tablets...best way to use it up?

Quote Originally Posted by PoolnTN View Post
    Ran into the store and grabbed the box just like what the tablets come in...got home and opened it and I bought granular. Obviously I don't have any inline system. What's the best way to use it up? Put it in hose or a sock and throw it in a skimmer? I couldn't find any floating chlorine dispensers that would work with granular.
    I gotta ask, what are you doing with the evil tablets/granular? When my FIL used granular he'd disperse it around the pool. Of course my suggestion would be to sell that garbage on craigslist.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Accidentally bought granular chlorine instead of tablets...best way to use it up?

Is it dichlor or cal-hypo? Does it have anything else in it, like copper? If it is dichlor or has copper in it then you should not use it at all. If it is cal-hypo and your CH isn't too high you could use it. Very slowly pour it in front of the return to dose.

Not that i recommend any solid chlorine

From myHTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Well $@&. Did not know that solid chlorine was a no go with the TFP method. I just knew not to use it during the SLAM because it was time release.

I mainly got the solid chlorine to use when we were going to be away from the pool for extended periods of time and wouldn't be able to add liquid bleach for several days.

Below is what I bought.

Aquabot Turbo T Jet

5. Back To Top    #5

I just did some number crunching.... 22.5 lbs @.718 concentration is 258 ounces of trichlor. That box will add 33 CYA to a giant 32,500 gallon pool!

What is the current CYA level?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't consider powders to be time release. In the case of dichlor, I spread it across the surface of the water and sweep the pool to mix it in. With your vinyl liner, you probably need to be very careful using this method to not let it sit on the liner at all. May even make sense to dilute it with water first.

And yes, I've used dichlor. When I was starting my pool and CYA was zero.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The "other ingredients" worries me too. Clarifier is not something you want in your pool "just because". Also it lists "sun protector", makes me wonder if there is extra CYA in it. Trichlor already has CYA like Richard pointed out, if you are already using trichlor pucks you don't want to raise it any faster with powdered trichlor or dichlor.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Richard320,
    It was 35 the last time I tested but I need to retest because I've added some water and had a rain.

RobbieH,

Me either. I was just trying to think of a way to "sort of" make it time release by putting it in a sock or something.

Donaldson,

I'm not using anything at this time, other than adding chlorine (I just recently got done with the SLAM).
    Aquabot Turbo T Jet