Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach used as my chlorine tablets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach used as my chlorine tablets?

I have been reading the TFPC for Beginners and am under the impression that it is more advantageous to use common bleach than chlorine tablets from XXXmart. Is that true?
    Also it seems that all bleach is not created equal.
    What bleach has the highest concentration of %strength? Most is at 6% but some are almost double from what I understand.
    24' X 52" AG - vinyl - Install 6/10/15 - 14,650 Gal.
    Hayward Pro Series 16In. Sand Filter Sys. 100lbs. sand
    1HP single speed motor
    Tester - Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach used as my chlorine tablets?

Most varieties of bleach nowadays has been upgraded to 8.25%. Check your label. Walmart Super Value is. BEWARE of old dates.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In most cases, yes, bleach is a better choice than any of the powdered or solid forms. The only byproduct it leaves is salt; they all do, anyway, but the others also leave behind cyanuric acid or calcium.

The highest concentration you'll probably find is 12.5%. Bleach degrades rapidly just sitting at high temperatures, and the stronger it is, the faster it degrades. So anything stronger than that won't be for very long. which is why they don't sell it at 50 or 60%.

Price/ (volume* percentage) = relative cost. Sometimes the weaker stuff is a better buy. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ch-Prices-2014
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, most of us use bleach for chlorinating our pools.

Look at the labels in your local stores. Quite often it is now 8.25%. Check also the date code printed on the bottle. The fresher the better.

Avoid buying the "pool chlorine" from places that store it outside in the heat, as this degrades the strength.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick replies.
    I love this forum!
    A guy at work said he used bleach in his pool. I thought he was crazy.
    Well, look who's crazy now.
    24' X 52" AG - vinyl - Install 6/10/15 - 14,650 Gal.
    Hayward Pro Series 16In. Sand Filter Sys. 100lbs. sand
    1HP single speed motor
    Tester - Taylor K2006