Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blindly SLAMing pool, now have 1st test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Blindly SLAMing pool, now have 1st test results

My 13,000 gallon vinyl pool turned cloudy and greenish this past weekend. I only had test strips to work with, but started SLAMing my pool the best I could. I have been getting positive results with only a little green / cloudiness in the middle of the deep end. My TF100 test kit arrived and have my first numbers and want to know where to go from here.
    FC-4
    CC-1
    TC-5
    TA-120
    PH-7.2
    CYA-0 (I tested twice after watching the video online, so I'm pretty confident. My test strip also registers CYA as low)
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Jandy CV 340 cartridge filter, Jandy 1.5 FloPro pump, inline auto chlorinator, Legacy LRZM heater, Jandy waterfall pump, Automatic pool cover. Hot Springs Spa ~ Flair 326 gal with Ace Salt Water System.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blindly SLAMing pool, now have 1st test results

You should raise CYA to 30. With CYA around 0 you lose chlorine to sunlight way too quickly.

Meanwhile, keep SLAMing. CC is still an issue, but that should clear up soon with continued SLAMing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What's the best thing to use to raise CYA? It's the one chemical my pool installer didn't give me and ironically the one test they told me I would never have to worry about during my orientation.
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Jandy CV 340 cartridge filter, Jandy 1.5 FloPro pump, inline auto chlorinator, Legacy LRZM heater, Jandy waterfall pump, Automatic pool cover. Hot Springs Spa ~ Flair 326 gal with Ace Salt Water System.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DJSO View Post
    What's the best thing to use to raise CYA? It's the one chemical my pool installer didn't give me and ironically the one test they told me I would never have to worry about during my orientation.
    Stabilizer. It's generally 99 or 100% pure cyanuric acid aka CYA. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to add a gallon of bleach at 10% this will get you up to 12 fc, that is slam level for you. Monitor FC every hour and keep it at 12 fc for now.
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Stabilizer. It's generally 99 or 100% pure cyanuric acid aka CYA. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    I guess I should have figured that out... I guess I've had one to many trips to the pool store where they want to sell me everything but what I ask for... Lol

7. Back To Top    #7

You can get the HTH brand at WalMart. It's called Stabilizer/Conditioner. It's about $15 I think for a 4lb jug.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter