I am having an algae nightmare over here. Long story short my pump was getting old and we bought a new one but it took 2 days for my husband to figure out how to hook it up correctly so that was 2 days of no filtering. Before we changed out the pump the pool was getting cloudy, not green, but cloudy. Then 2 days of no filtering was all it took to have a big green problem. I don't have an advanced test kit but with the kit I do have my chlorine is between 2 to 3 (we shocked it this morning) and my PH is between 6.8 and 7.2. We have been working to bring the PH up and we have the chlorinator on high. My question is this: Should I get the PH up before I continue to shock the pool or do I continue to shock the pool to get rid of the algae? Also, I have a liner and have always used the bags of shock, can I use liquid chlorine or bleach, and if so which one is better and where would I get it and how much do I use?
The pool store said not to run the pump 24/7 but what I read here was to keep it running to get rid of the problem so I don't know which is right. I'm so confused on what to do. The pump is off right now and the plan was to put it on first thing in the morning, brush the sides and put in shock and let it run while we're at work, once we get home we would put in Soda Ash to bring the PH up to help hold the chlorine.
I'm sorry if I'm rambling and I did read the article on algae and on Slamming but I'm so confused on where to really begin.