Test kit vs pool store results

Jul 9, 2014
Harrod,Ohio
I am a new member and a new pool owner. I recently got my pool up and running and took some samples to the pool store. After getting tired of the test strips I purchased a pool masters basic 5 test kit from the local pool store. There test results are different from what i am getting from the kit, and i am not sure which one to even believe anymore. There results were FC .09 CC 2.32 PH 7.4 TA 172 CH 420 CYA 4 and SI .7. At the same time My results were ph 7.2 TA 200 and FC 1. They said i needed to add more muriatic acid to bring the TA down which i agree, and also to add chlorine which i did as well. Well after 24 hours i tested and got a PH 7.0 Ta 180 and FC 3. Do I need a better test kit or to keep driving to the store to get this TA issue under control. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Welcome.

Since you're asking a very specific question, I'll answer...

YES! You need a better test kit! A TF100 will suit you and your needs just fine and you can trust the test results and use the kit every day of the summer and still have it to start the next season. You can purchase the test kit at TFtestkits.net. You can find the link in my signature. :goodjob:

Your current kit is fine for testing pH, CH, and TA. It does not test for FC, it only tests for total chlorine. Your results are trustworthy on those 3 tests, pool store results are untrustworthy for anything.

You do need a test for CYA and a test that can test both FC and CC (the test is called FAS-DPD). You can get both of these tests from TF Test kits and add them to your current kit if you would like. Adding these will get you a complete set and let you take complete control of your pool.

And welcome to TFP from a fellow Ohioan!

TA is usually the last thing we tinker with. It is recommended that you get your FC and CYA in line and once you are stable and on the right track, you can start working on your TA by following this :lookhere: Lowering Total Alkalinity.

Casey is right, it is not vitally important to lower the TA. It happens naturally since your pH will rise, you add acid, TA and pH lowers, and then the pH rises again. So you don't really need to actively do much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will love the test kit! You'll use it everyday until one day, you will know your pool like the back of your hand. You'll then use the test kit to confirm your guesstimates because you start to know your pool's diet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.