Test Kits LaMotte Color Q Pro-7

TeamNelson

Platinum Supporter
Feb 15, 2013
Tucson (Marana) AZ
I got this test kit for my inability to see differences between colors as well as I'd like... I also like the digital readings - hoping they help me be more accurate.

I have on order a TFT for Fas-DPD to see if I have an overnight chlorine loss. My Kit above measures two digits in (100th's right)

Qs:
1) that is not good enough? (If I read the forum data correctly)

I have an automatic chlorine dispensing system "Frog" by King Technologies (we travel 4 days out of 7 being on a dedicated route as truck drivers). I want to be out of the chemical stockpile fortune I've invested in currently and be TFP at that point...

2)
or would I be wasting my time due to not being able to dose the pool daily w/bleach?

My tests are done 2-3 times weekly. Currently I've noticed the PH & FCL are dropping since past heat wave & for last 3 weeks on the general decline & my CYA is rising so that said:

Here's my today test scenario -

FCL .58
TCL 1.43
PH 7.3
ALK 177
CH 110
CYA 54
My Frog Dial is set a 6!

The pool installer says with my Ozone system & Frog my FCL should be 2ppm and total chlorine never over 4ppm. This past week - My Frog doesn't seem to respond to changing the 1 to 10 numbered dial (but the chlorine is being used at almost a cartridge per week in summer heat). It used to operate correctly with settings 1 = 1ppm & 4 on dial is 4ppm (total chlorine). The pool looks clear but not "sparkly" I have a cover on while we are not home - (too many dust storms in AZ & rabbits love my pool if it's not on!)
3) do I have algae in the under side of the cover? Is that possible?
4) I also have a swimming bug that dives to the bottom of the pool as if taunting me & when I catch them and smash them before they fly away - their is a slight bloody muck coming from them. I smashed 20 of them Sunday and 2 today...
5) If I could change to a SWG - could those bugs still live in the water in that environment? or is it my FCL level driving them to enjoy my pool more than me?

I tried my best to read & learn before posting - so not to duplicate your efforts to help me. With your help I look to the right path awaiting me soon!

(I know I have several questions rolling & rambling here - thanks for getting to all of them)

Welcome to TFP.

You need to smash that frog and well, just get rid of it as it is not doing what you think it's doing. It's adding minerals to your pool and not killing bacteria and cooties in your water. You are in the midst right now of a nasty algae bloom and if you don't get a hold of it, you're going to be green. That frog is also going to over dose your water on metals and start staining your finish and turn every blonde and red head green. :shock: Run a search on the FROG here and you can read about it.

Keep the order for the FAS/DPD test. You're going to need it. You will also do a lot better with a SWG since you guys are on the road so to speak. It will keep your pool cleaner than that frog. For now though, you need to find a way to SLAM the pool ASAP. If you're there to do it great. If not, then maybe you should wait?

You're back swimmers are there because the water is just the way they like it... low to no chlorine.

Without that test FAS/DPD (arriving in 4-5 days, & just ordered today & I will be out of town starting Monday) can I start slamming when I get home Thursday without it? I will take out both cartridges "frog Pac" & Mineral Pac & off it goes. What should I do with my Ozone system? Off? Chuck it? I Will shop around & find a SWG & hope to get that by end of month...

At night can I cover the pool (avoiding the rabbits swimming by morning!) or ? we've got fencing & additional mesh fencing all around but these buggers are digging under (next project fence deeper) & getting in pool area when home. Otherwise they just use the cover like a trampoline I guess! Is my cover keeping algae in it? It's automatic, rolled up onto itself & into a well & how can that ever get dry let alone day light on water underside...

Thank you kindly for your help.

Here is a quick rundown on the products you have mentioned:

Color Q - great in theory less so in practice, if you look through old threads on the Color Q you will see over and over again people that show up here saying they love it, then follow up a few months later with post about how wrong they were and how the Color Q is the worst junk they have ever dealt with. The problem is that they seem to work great for a while then start giving wrong results, either consistently wrong, or random bad numbers.

The Frog system, this is a mineral system that adds copper to the water, copper is BAD, not only does it turns light colored hair green, stains you pool, etc., but it also kills algae, which you might think is good, but in this case can be a bad thing, as out of balance dangerous pool water not only contains algae, but can contain bacteria and even viruses, which copper does not effective kill. The bad thing about bacteria and viruses is we can't see them with the naked eye, so we rely on the lack of algae in a chlorine pool as a guide to know if we are doing a good job sanitizing, since chlorine by itself kills algae, as well as most types bacteria and viruses. Therefore these mineral systems can lull you into a false sense of security where you can have clear, but dangerous water.

As to Ozone, we don't really have a problem with its use, however it is generally not needed in a well balanced residential outdoor pool, and will increase you chlorine demand as the ozone will also oxidize your chlorine, I know the Ononator ads claim it is the other way around, but their sales pitch is only valid for out of control pools with algae trying to grow in it, not well balanced pools with no algae. We even endorse the use of Ozonators in certain conditions, like high bather volume commercial and warm water therapy pools, as well as hot tubs, but typical outdoor residential pools get plenty of UV from sunlight to fully breakdown oxidation byproducts without the need for ozone.

As to what to do, I would disconnect the frog right away, boost the chlorine level with bleach, until you can dedicate the time to do the SLAM right. Working on it hard for a couple of days then going out of town will be a wasted effort.

Without that test FAS/DPD (arriving in 4-5 days, & just ordered today & I will be out of town starting Monday) can I start slamming when I get home Thursday without it? I will take out both cartridges "frog Pac" & Mineral Pac & off it goes. What should I do with my Ozone system? Off? Chuck it? I Will shop around & find a SWG & hope to get that by end of month...

At night can I cover the pool (avoiding the rabbits swimming by morning!) or ? we've got fencing & additional mesh fencing all around but these buggers are digging under (next project fence deeper) & getting in pool area when home. Otherwise they just use the cover like a trampoline I guess! Is my cover keeping algae in it? It's automatic, rolled up onto itself & into a well & how can that ever get dry let alone day light on water underside...

Thank you kindly for your help.

Hi, welcome to TFP!
Check if you can run the ozone when the cover is on the pool. Since you do leave the cover on for long periods of time, you could use the ozone generator to burn off CC. You will need test results to start your slam. How high does your color Q measure chlorine? If it only reads up to 10ppm then you will not be able to use it for the slam.

Once you do start to slam, the cover will be treated with the chlorine as well when it is closed, so that will kill any algae on the cover.

With a CYA of 54 (I rounded up to the 60 level) the minimum your FC should ever drop to is 5, but you should really endeavor to keep it at 7 (your target).

Am I correct in guessing that the pool builder has a store where he is selling the cartridges for the Frog?

You will find that folks around here like liquid chlorine, be it common household bleach or the hi test chlorinating liquid you get at the pool store. With you traveling so much it can be difficult to use liquid, but it is possible. Once you get the pool back under control you can look into this. Two options are a Liquidator or a Stenner pump. Both deliver liquid chlorine to the pool. You just test and adjust as necessary.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - the test kit you have on order!! Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Yeah I bought the ColorQ kit also just days before finding this website and being told I needed something else. I've now only used it a couple times just to see how it compared to the Taylor and TF100 kits. Most the readings seemed accurate like FC, pH, ALK, but CH was only half what I've tested and CYA is reading 48 when I've measured it near 65 with the TF-100 kit. I'm about ready to just toss it unless I can sell it for pennies on the dollar. Once you get going with regular testing if you're like me you will end up mainly only testing FC and pH. I know where my CH and CYA are and those readings don't change much so I don't test for them. They are both higher than I want and the only solution is to remove water so I'm waiting to see if we are going to resurface our pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YES you are correct w/builder & cartridges - guess they see us newbie 1st time pool buyers from A MILE AWAY & go for kill with "we'll get you both ways" on the build & after at their store!!! Grrrr - but we are willing to learn, it's just the hindsight that is killing us right now!!!

I'm brushing my pool more often than my teeth & that sounds gross but true! Not whining - just truth!

I'm home now without my new TFP test kit - taking advise getting my FC up w/bleach, testing hourly & doing slam after new test kit comes this next week... waiting is hard! I didn't see any other options - did I miss anything anyplace else? I will report with full tests & photo's to come with THE SLAM! until then researching SWG's & hoping to find a good DIY one... ??? or not?
I will dedicate my time to the SLAM & do it right. (My boss say I can have the week off if I have a pool party when done! at least I have that going for me - 1st time off in 3 years!) I have a neighbor with a pool & they offered to help do what it takes to get me on track while I'm away during a normal work week. I'm having pool anxiety, waiting tick tock!

YES you are correct w/builder & cartridges - guess they see us newbie 1st time pool buyers from A MILE AWAY & go for kill with "we'll get you both ways" on the build & after at their store!!! Grrrr - but we are willing to learn, it's just the hindsight that is killing us right now!!!
It is the sad part of the pool industry, some "professionals" take advantage of the less informed. Don't feel bad, you are not the first nor will you be the last to fall for this. I look at it like car sales (I guess the old jokes talk about used car sales), you should never take advice from someone who has a financial interest in the outcome of your decision.

I'm brushing my pool more often than my teeth & that sounds gross but true! Not whining - just truth!

I'm home now without my new TFP test kit - taking advise getting my FC up w/bleach, testing hourly & doing slam after new test kit comes this next week... waiting is hard! I didn't see any other options - did I miss anything anyplace else? I will report with full tests & photo's to come with THE SLAM! until then researching SWG's & hoping to find a good DIY one... ??? or not?
I will dedicate my time to the SLAM & do it right. (My boss say I can have the week off if I have a pool party when done! at least I have that going for me - 1st time off in 3 years!)
Brushing, the correct amount of chlorine and time are what it takes!

I have a neighbor with a pool & they offered to help do what it takes to get me on track while I'm away during a normal work week. I'm having pool anxiety, waiting tick tock!
Be careful with the neighbor. As with your past, they may believe what their builder or store says is gospel. I have put my foot in my mouth with friends who have pools a couple of times.

I just noticed you are in Tucson. I'm interested in looking at Pebbletec pools and the type of pump you have so if you aren't too far away I may be able to stop by and give you enough powder and drops to test FC till your kit arrives.

It is the sad part of the pool industry, some "professionals" take advantage of the less informed. Don't feel bad, you are not the first nor will you be the last to fall for this. I look at it like car sales (I guess the old jokes talk about used car sales), you should never take advice from someone who has a financial interest in the outcome of your decision.

It isn't just the pool industry. The industry I work in has some of the worst crooks in it disguised as professionals. I do want to make one change to your comment: When given advice from someone who can profit from it, trust but verify. I make sure to tell people they can and should verify my advice with an unaffiliated expert in the field. Helps keep me honest and also makes sure they know I have their interest first, mine second.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.