Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help.

Hi,
    Lately I've been going through a lot of bleach (close to 5.5 ppm a day).
    I've been reading the forum for close to 2 years so I suspected I had something in the water that was using up the bleach so last night I did an overnight test. Last night at around 9 pm, my FC was at 8 PPM and this morning at 5:30 am it was pretty much at the same spot. (If it dropped any, it was less than .5 ppm). This morning my CC was less than .5 (it barely turned pink and cleared up easily with 1 drop). Then as of 30 minutes ago (2:30pm), it's already dropped by 4 PPM (from 8 to 4). That's only a half day in the sun and nobody has even been in the pool.

CYA 35
    TA 110
    PH 7.6
    CH 330

My pool is plaster and about 15000 gallons. It's shallow and in full sun most of the day. I live in Dallas and its very hot and sunny today. The water is beautiful.

So this is where I need help. My assumption due to the overnight test is that my pool is clean and I'm losing FC to the sun. I don't think a cover is the direction we want to go, so therefore my only really option is raise my CYA closer to 50 and just plan on buying more bleach. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help.

I'm two hours East of you and routinely lost 4ppm FC daily with CYA at 50. I went to 60 this year and it helped some. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good to know, Woody. I've read a few times that 2-3 seems high, so I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can get it down to 3 or 3.5-------consider yourself good.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Woody.
    I just measured the FC at 8:30 pm and we are down to 1.5. So that's 6.5 ppm loss for the day and we haven't even touched the pool today. That's just from sunlight. I'm going to bring the CYA a little and see if that helps. Glad I didn't throw out my tabs when we switched over to bleach.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in the same boat...cya 40, losing 3ppm each day and going thru a gal of bleach a day. Not as cheap as I thought it was gonna be....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!