Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie here. Have two problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie here. Have two problems

First, I bought my home late last year. It had a pool so now I am a pool owner for the first time. It ran great all last year. Now I am finding lots of sand on the bottom. I have to vacuum nearly every day. I assume it is a lateral issue but I'm going to have to cut the plumbing pipes in order to access the bottom Of the sand filter.

Should I go ahead and order the whole "insides" like the long pole and all the laterals and just assume it is a lateral issue? I have someone to help me with the plumbing. I plan on getting screw like attachments so I do not have to cut the pipes every time. It's hot and I cannot afford much pump downtime.

Second issue. Per the previous owner the pump is a couple years old. Last night it got hot and shut down. Now I am afraid of it starting a fire. Should I take it apart and if so, what would I look for?

I am sorry if this is basic stuff, I just need to save money by fixing it myself. I am pretty handy with taking things apart, etc.

Thanks!
    16 x 32 Sport Pool; Hayward Series Sand Filter S244T
    15,000 Gallons, In Ground with New Vinyl Liner
    Pool approx. Five Years Old. Live in KY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie here. Have two problems

What you are describing is the stand pipe in the center of the filter. It could easily be the gasket under the multiport valve gone bad rather than the laterals. You need to plumb in half unions when you cut the plumbing to the filter. Pumps exposed to the sun in July get...HOT! Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Realy? I never thought of that. I think I can take that off and just replace for a few dollars. Thanks so much for the quick response!

4. Back To Top    #4

How does the water look? Clear? Cloudy? Do you see this sand all over the pool or just near the return? What brand pump do you have? Did it run dry before it shut off?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually the water looks great. Sand is all over the pool. It contracted near some creases in the liner. I am getting a new liner due to my closing the pool wrong and now I have probably 10 creases.

Just got home from work, turned the pump on.. It shut Off after one hour and was very hot.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

And no, it wasn't dry when it shut off. Just very hot. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

I took the round motor off and the impeller looked to be clean and it turned fairly easy. It worked great last year in the heat wave. Not so hot now and it's overheating.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    I took the round motor off and the impeller looked to be clean and it turned fairly easy. It worked great last year in the heat wave. Not so hot now and it's overheating.
    Any thoughts on why my motor may be overheating? Impeller seems to be good, and everything turned smoothly. I had some electrical work done and they may have used that electrical box to add an outlet underneath my house. Could that be an issue? How do you check?

Thanks everyone!
    Darren

8. Back To Top    #8

If the problem started showing up after the electrical work was done then that may be the source of your problem. Check these threads for more information.
    Pump motor overheating high amps
    How hot should a pool motor get
    Pump motor overheats in about 30 seconds
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!