Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I *need* a pool cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I *need* a pool cover?

This may seem obvious to most, but I have never owned a pool before and wondering about the necessity of a cover. We are building a rectangular shaped pool and initially thought an automated cover would work. Well PB said it would run ~$15k which we thought was excessive, so we nixed that idea. Looking into Katch-a-Kid nets now, but I'm wondering if we really even need a cover. We don't have a lot of trees in our yard to shed. Our kids are good swimmers and we don't have outdoor pets. We live in the south where it is warm 9 months of the year so we will get good use of the pool much of the year. Tell me, what am I missing? Do we really need a cover?
    21k gal IG, SWG, WetEdge Satin Matrix Antigua in pool, Primera Stone Tahoe Coast in spa, 430 sq ft cartridge filter, 2.7 HP variable speed pump, infloor cleaner

Our build:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...c-Houston-pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I *need* a pool cover?

I do not have a cover and never have. I can't even imagine what one would cost for my pool!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don;t have a cover. I had a bubble-wrap one, and it did help keep the pool warm, but the bother of removing it discouraged actually using the pool. Even the weekly vacuuming in the off-season was a PITA. When it started crumbling and shedding little blue particles, that was the end of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

$15K seems quite excessive for an auto cover. I have one on my pool, but we have a lot of trees and would not have a pool without one. Keeping it covered every day reduces evaporation and chemical use. However, they will be expensive to maintain/replace once they get old. Also, we are north and the cover helps with heat retention, which would not be an issue for you.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

5. Back To Top    #5

I have lots of trees and get by without a cover just fine, TYVM.

The only three things you must absolutely have with a pool is a good test kit, bleach, and pool noodles.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It almost sounds like you are asking with regards to worrying that the kids would fall in seeing that you mention the Katch-a-kid net system. So is the cover more for the kids safety? Is there any code in your parts that say you have to have some sort of child barrier and you were considering the hard cover or the net? If you have codes like we do, a child fence is usually installed around the pool for safety. Heck in our neck of the woods, it's code period. Whether you have kids or not, every pool built has to have some sort of protection from children.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Paul that is a great question regarding code. I'm not sure; will need to ask our PB. The only reason we were looking at Katch-a-kid nets was b/c our PB suggested that after the sticker shock of the automated cover. And the whole name Katch-a-kid made me think - what kid would we be worried about? My husband evaluates risk for a living, so I'm sure we will wind up with some sort of cover for the just-in-case moments, but still makes me wonder if it's really needed. Will ask PB about code requirements next though.
    21k gal IG, SWG, WetEdge Satin Matrix Antigua in pool, Primera Stone Tahoe Coast in spa, 430 sq ft cartridge filter, 2.7 HP variable speed pump, infloor cleaner

Our build:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...c-Houston-pool

8. Back To Top    #8

I am also in Texas and while our pool season isn't 12 months, outside season for us is pretty close to 12 months some years. We chose not to cover ours (despite having trees that overhang the pool) because we are outside regularly and the back of the house looks out over the pool. I didn't want to look out there and see a big cover. And I didn't want to sit out at the fire pit and look at a cover. The pool doesn't need a lot of care in the winter. Other than dealing with some leaves, it really isn't any trouble.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by glitter&guns View Post
    I am also in Texas and while our pool season isn't 12 months, outside season for us is pretty close to 12 months some years. We chose not to cover ours (despite having trees that overhang the pool) because we are outside regularly and the back of the house looks out over the pool. I didn't want to look out there and see a big cover. And I didn't want to sit out at the fire pit and look at a cover. The pool doesn't need a lot of care in the winter. Other than dealing with some leaves, it really isn't any trouble.
    Exactly!

The pool is a *prominent* feature not only in our backyard but for the house as well-- the house is literally built around the pool. (U shaped house with the pool in the middle of the U). I'd much rather scoop a few leaves during the winter than spend 6 months a year looking at a tarp. Glad I live in a place that makes that possible.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.