rehabilitate Ikeric pump or install new Pentair VS+?

salinda

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
Los Gatos, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a dilemma: about 3 weeks ago, my Ikeric pump started to get flakey. The pump would not consistently turn on in the morning as scheduled. There was a whining noise from the variable speed drive controller and an error message "InF." The manual for the Altivar controller says this fault means that there is electronic interference or that the drive controller needs to be replaced. I haven't installed any new electronics in my home so I conclude that the drive controller has failed and needs to be replaced. I can reset the fault and get the motor going by turning off the circuit breaker to the filter pump in my Aqualink and wait until the Altivar stops making noise and then turn the breaker back on, but not consistently.

It's the hottest time of the year and since I couldn't always get the pump to come back on, I decided to leave it on and let it run on 24 hours. I turned the low speed down VERY low to save energy and it runs at that speed whenever solar heating is not on. My pool is very clean and happy, but this is not sustainable long term. I need to turn the pump off to clean the filter, switch to spa mode, etc.

The existing pump sounds good and probably has many years of service left. Ikeric is no longer in operation as a company. I have found a source for a new Altivar control unit for the pump. My preferred pool service guy (who I call in only for complicated mechanical issues or when I am off the map since I service my own pool) is willing to attempt a like for like replacement of the Altivar controller. He would charge me for his time if I provide the controller. I would provide some expertise as well since I have an electrical engineering background and am comfortable with the programming, ladder logic, etc.

The alternative is to just replace the pump with a new Pentair VS+ and upgrade the Aqualink RS4 to accommodate the new pump. This will cost me quite a bit of money (~$1500 more than the other option) but give me a pump/system that is much more serviceable as Ikeric is not around and Pentair will be around for a long time. It will also be a better pump as my Ikeric is only a 1.5 HP Sta-rite pump and I can underdrive the 3 HP whisperflo, which I believe will be quieter and more efficient in the end. Also, my pool is fairly large and the Ikeric is undersized for getting maximal skimming and cleaning when I need to boost things a bit occasionally.

I'd love some input on this.

Intelliflo's are not really serviceable either. The drives cost almost as much as a new pump. One of the reasons I am not a huge fan of the VS but it has it's place. If the wet end is good condition, you might just consider replacing the motor with a two speed motor. Fixing or replace the VS with another VS would probably cost way more than just replacing the motor.

I bit the bullet and went with the variable speed. Utility costs are very high here. The pump is running well and I'm learning the updates on the Jandy Aqualink-RS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.