Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover to Reduce Heating Costs for Community Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover to Reduce Heating Costs for Community Pool?

Our community pool is heated, with annual propane costs ~$5K even though we only run from Memorial Day to Labor Day. One cost control option that has been proposed is covering the pool at night. My first reaction as CPO was that I have to fool with the cover every morning and evening -- something I don't want to do. But if the cost savings were big enough I'd have to relent my selfish attitude. Has anyone dealt with pool covers in a public pool context? What are the hidden gotchas? If this were a private pool it would be a simpler decision....

50-Yr Old, 50,000-Gal, In-Ground Plaster-Covered Brick

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Cover to Reduce Heating Costs for Community Pool?

When I lived in a condo, we had a blue bubble cover on the community pool. It was in three sections, and people just towed in off and left it strewn across the deck and the adjacent planters. Every leaf and blade of grass on the cover ended up in the pool, every time. But people were pretty good about putting it back on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, man! What a mess! I figured I'd be using a roller to retract a one-piece cover, so perhaps it might not be so messy. But I also wondered about liability. What if someone breaks in there after dark and gets trapped under the cover? Stuff like that....
    50-Yr Old, 50,000-Gal, In-Ground Plaster-Covered Brick

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yep you have to worry about your liability with a cover in palce. Even though they shouldn't be there if it happened they would sue you for sure.

There are commercially available covers that have sturdy reels for removing the cover so you would want to look into that.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.