Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worth it to upgrade 1/2hp whisperflo to a 2 speed or variable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Worth it to upgrade 1/2hp whisperflo to a 2 speed or variable?

I have a two year old 1/2hp whisperflo 220v pump that runs 8 hours a day. I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace with a 2 speed or not. I have a huge sand filter if that makes a difference. My thoughts are that I could get one that at low speed, runs about what mine does right now, but have the ability to crank up the flow when it's time to run the heater, vacuum the pool, or clean up after a storm. The water coming from my returns seems a bit low. I do have a booster pump on the polaris too.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Worth it to upgrade 1/2hp whisperflo to a 2 speed or variable?

Maybe a 3/4 2-speed, keep the same impeller. What's your power cost?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

$180-240 a month. That's including the whole house and dual zone A/C.

Interesting thought on just swapping out the electric motor vice the whole unit. Especially since the pump is only 2 years old. How do you control the 2 speeds? Is there a switch that needs to be added?
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes you'd have to add a switch. It's pretty easy overall. Some motors come with a switch or the option to add one. I manually added one to my setup discussed here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...P-2-Speed-115V
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

If the pump is currently working and your electric rates aren't too high, it will take a long time for a two speed motor replacement to pay back.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Keeping the same impeller and getting a two speed motor won't give you the ability to crank up the flow the way you want. On high you would have exactly what you have now, and on low you would have half the flow you have now. If you want more flow than what you have now, maybe you should change the impeller. If you do that you would also need a bigger motor, and it could be a two speed.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

If everything is working fine now with the flow that that the .5 hp motor is providing going to the .75 hp will increase usage on high but will be be less on low. Payback time will be a while. Maybe a better option when the motor dies.