Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Regents $ and replacement schedule?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 Regents $ and replacement schedule?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how often I'll be going through the regents from the TF-100 (I ordered the XL). and how much each regent typically costs (if there are varied prices).
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 Regents $ and replacement schedule?

Pricing is easy: http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Refills-c11/

How often depends on how obsessed you are with testing. You'll burn through a lot early on, but as you get used to things and get to know the pool, it tends to slack off. There's usually a sale on the refill set in the Spring, which helps some. A lot also depends on where you live, and what shape the pool is in. I go through a lot of R-0012 since my water is so hard and the Calcium test takes a lot of drops. If you're maintaining a pool with really high CYA or clearing a swamp, you'll burn through the FAS-DPD stuff pretty good.

It's still cheap insurance. Let the pool get green and you'll spend way more than the price of the refills on bleach!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF-100 reagent quantities are sized (as much as possible) so you run out of them all at roughly the same time -- vs the Taylor kits which have the same amount of each reagent**.

** although I recently discovered that the K-2006 includes two bottles of CYA reagent R-0013 so it's not as bad as I thought

The kits are also shipped out through a shorter supply chain so tend to arrive pretty fresh, so if you buy at the start of one season and keep the kit in a cool dark place you should get two seasons out of it.

You can buy a kit of replacement reagents for $39, I would think about picking up one of those every second spring even if you haven't used up all the reagents yet. You probably won't get two seasons out of the reagents in a stock kit if you have to SLAM or are running at high FC levels (so more R-0871 drops used with every test), but that's where the XL option comes in and you can always buy more R-0871 if you need it.

For what it's worth, refills are way cheaper in the US than in Canada
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

For a typical situation, understanding that situations do vary, the TF100 kit should last roughly two years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

sounds good, thanks all. Kit should be arriving any day now, I'll post my first results soon. Need to study up on the testing procedures...
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100