New AG Pool Filter chang out questions

dthow

May 21, 2014
houston, tx
we have a new soft sided AGP from Sams 20' x 4'. It came with a thru the wall skimmer with a cartridge filter inside it and the small pump attached to the bottom of the skimmer. we would like to upgrade to a sand filter system. what we have on hand is and old sand filter system that was from our previous much larger pool 24' x 52". it has 1.5 hp motor (AO Smith), purex triton Meteor 22" high rate sand filter product # 588100 filter area 2.5 SQ. FT. flow rate at 20 gpm per SQ. FT or 50 GPM. it has an 8 position Head (handle) American products no model # but a label # 96734200 what we do know for sure is at the 3 points where hoses attach appear to be cracked. we would like to replace this head housing or repair if possible any thought on this would be helpful such as is this unit 2 big for the pool we have now? if not is it worth the new head. Thanks in advance!

I have another issue with chem levels: From what I have read on here the CYA is why I cannot keep Chlorine in the pool but I do not want to make the CYA to high what is the best way to increase the CYA and reduce the ALK? Any help would be grateful.

CL = .5
PH = 7.5
ALK = 230-240
HARDNESS = 70
CYA IS NONDETECTABLE

Thanks,
DTH

Welcome, check out the pool school and there is a ton of knowledge in there for keeping your pool chemistry correct. Also a pool calculator. As for the filter and pump I'm not an expert so I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that.

The CYA once you get the amount you need from the pool calculator use a sock in the skimmer or on a ladder to dissolve it. Hope this helps.

See if the broken pipes will unscrew from the multi-port valve. If not cut the one on the left (I believe this is your return line) off straight and leave it as long as possible. Use the stub to glue new pvc or attach a hose. I believe the pipe on the right is the waste line. Cut it so the edges are even and use a 2 inch waste hose with a screw clamp to hold it in place. Do you plan to hard plumb this pool or use hoses?

Sorry its been a while life you know. zea3 the pipes appear to be cracked where the black pipe is a molded part of the head that little white line at the bottom of the one you can see appears to be a crack as well as the other one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.