Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New AG Pool Filter chang out questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New AG Pool Filter chang out questions

we have a new soft sided AGP from Sams 20' x 4'. It came with a thru the wall skimmer with a cartridge filter inside it and the small pump attached to the bottom of the skimmer. we would like to upgrade to a sand filter system. what we have on hand is and old sand filter system that was from our previous much larger pool 24' x 52". it has 1.5 hp motor (AO Smith), purex triton Meteor 22" high rate sand filter product # 588100 filter area 2.5 SQ. FT. flow rate at 20 gpm per SQ. FT or 50 GPM. it has an 8 position Head (handle) American products no model # but a label # 96734200 what we do know for sure is at the 3 points where hoses attach appear to be cracked. we would like to replace this head housing or repair if possible any thought on this would be helpful such as is this unit 2 big for the pool we have now? if not is it worth the new head. Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New AG Pool Filter chang out questions

2014-06-23 18 45 59.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

4. Back To Top    #4

I have another issue with chem levels: From what I have read on here the CYA is why I cannot keep Chlorine in the pool but I do not want to make the CYA to high what is the best way to increase the CYA and reduce the ALK? Any help would be grateful.

CL = .5
    PH = 7.5
    ALK = 230-240
    HARDNESS = 70
    CYA IS NONDETECTABLE

Thanks,
    DTH

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome, check out the pool school and there is a ton of knowledge in there for keeping your pool chemistry correct. Also a pool calculator. As for the filter and pump I'm not an expert so I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that.

The CYA once you get the amount you need from the pool calculator use a sock in the skimmer or on a ladder to dissolve it. Hope this helps.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

See if the broken pipes will unscrew from the multi-port valve. If not cut the one on the left (I believe this is your return line) off straight and leave it as long as possible. Use the stub to glue new pvc or attach a hose. I believe the pipe on the right is the waste line. Cut it so the edges are even and use a 2 inch waste hose with a screw clamp to hold it in place. Do you plan to hard plumb this pool or use hoses?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry its been a while life you know. zea3 the pipes appear to be cracked where the black pipe is a molded part of the head that little white line at the bottom of the one you can see appears to be a crack as well as the other one.