Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small leak in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Small leak in pool

I've got a small leak in my pool that has been there for about 2 years. The pool loses about 1/8" per day which should be about 60 - 70 gal/day. I came across a comment on another forum that said cracked face plates on pool fittings could be the source of a leak. I started checking my face plates (5 total) and two were cracked. When I started replacing them I found there were no gaskets under any of them - including the skimmer face plate. Could the the lack of gaskets cause a leak and should the gaskets be lubed with an o-ring sealer when they are installed?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Small leak in pool

Lack of gaskets could CLEARLY be the source. I have not put in too many gaskets but, generally, sealant is not required, I think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Small leak in pool

Thanks Dave, on my way to buy gaskets. Maybe that will cure my problem (I hope).
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)