Have a leak at a PVC joint - any suggestions?

TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I'm working on plumbing in the new heat pump. All was going well until one of my joints sprung a PIN hole leak. Barely noticeable; only realized it when I saw the concrete wet (After it dried from all the work I did.) See picture below. Never had a PVC joint leak before - not sure what went wrong as both the primer and glue are brand new and I gave it a slight twist when installing and held for 30 seconds.

Problem is, there's just no room to remove that joint and start over. Any suggestions?

PVC.jpg

Ohhh, I never even thought about going over the Jandy! It would actually be a 2.5" PVC over it (All 2" currently.) I guess if I have to I can just cut the existing PVC flush to the Jandy and go from there.

Good thinking! If anyone else has any other ideas, let's hear them.

What kind of couplers are you using? They don't look like a normal coupler for what is usually used on pools. You should be using schedule 40 PVC pieces. Yours look like DWV(drain/waste/vent) which isn't for this type of plumbing work. You don't really have enough of the pipe inside the coupler A PVC coupler usually allows almost 1.5" of the pipe to be inserted into it. Your looks like maybe you have about half an inch of the pipe in it.

Paul - I think you hit the nail on the head. Everything I grabbed was schedule 40 in terms of pipes, elbows, etc. However, I never noticed there were different couplings for DWV versus pressure applications and it appears that's where I went wrong and didn't pay attention to what was written on the box. So I definitely think this is my issue and I have two I need to somehow replace (The other coming off the back of the filter.) This is not going to be fun. . .

For the one closest to the filter, if you can find it, you can get inside pipe extenders, glue them inside each side of the pipe, then install the correct coupler. Or you can go the route of getting a new union for the filter and start over. When you cut off the leaking one, cut it flush with the three way valve and then get a 2.5" coupler with a 2.5"x2" reducer. The one end of the coupler would fit right over the valve as mentioned before. Then the reducer in the other end and then the pipe into it. Not sure you can find a 2.5" coupler at a home improvement store though, the schedule 40 kind.

Version 2.0. Better?

Thanks to Paul for setting me right. I actually spent a lot of time and patience and used a few different methods and removed the existing PVC pipe from the valves and such. Started over fresh and was able to replumb everything from scratch where I had the bad union. No more leak!

2014-07-19 13.48.41.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.