The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

Jun 15, 2013
Marietta, GA
After just posting a different thread I got advice to start a less complicated thread so here goes.
First off the pool is the bane to my life. I promised myself this year I'd be on top of my chemicals and testing and it would be easy... no it still sucks.

I paid someone to close and open my pool for me so it did look beautiful at first (I wish I could pay them all the time to take care of the pool). Then it all went down hill.

-I noticed bubbles coming out of the water return valves with the water. I think this must have happened when I forgot to turn the pool off at the circuit breaker and the pump ran dry after the closing for a few hours due to the intermittent timer things. But the pool guy got it looking good so I figured "a small leak, no big deal."
- when I tried to go back to intermittent the pump would lose prime and then run dry
- the pool guy put a check valve on
- Pool was fine for a while but when the yellow arrived I started trying to look at leak since the vacuuming of the pool was terrible

Here's what I know about my equipment and leak
-In the pump water pot the bubbles seem to be coming from the side before the pump because I can see through the lid.
- I replaced the gasket and used special pool gunk to lube it. This did not fix the leak.
- My basket is warped, although it's been like that since I bought the house so it's hard to know if it's gotten worse.
- There is always sand in my pool, the dolphin probably sucks up about 1-2 tablespoons when it runs every day.

Here is a picture of my set up. Please tell me where to look for leaks and what to do first, I don't understand language like influent and effluent fittings. And of course the pool is green but i guess that can wait till I figure out the mechanical stuff.

Thank you,
Reagan

Attachments

• 20140708_180235.jpg
    20140708_180235.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20140708_180316.jpg
    20140708_180316.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like you may have a suction side leak since you are loosing prime.

Lets see if someone can help you figure this out.

, I don't understand language like influent and effluent fittings. And of course the pool is green but i guess that can wait till I figure out the mechanical stuff.

Thank you,
Reagan

Well, using Google I searched those terms- INfluent means flowing IN, Effluent means flowing OUT. Google is your friend :)

When my pool was new I took a black marker and marked the pipes with arrows to help me understand and visualize the water flow into and out of my pool. You might find that useful?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.