Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

1. Back To Top    #1

The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

After just posting a different thread I got advice to start a less complicated thread so here goes.
    First off the pool is the bane to my life. I promised myself this year I'd be on top of my chemicals and testing and it would be easy... no it still sucks.

I paid someone to close and open my pool for me so it did look beautiful at first (I wish I could pay them all the time to take care of the pool). Then it all went down hill.

-I noticed bubbles coming out of the water return valves with the water. I think this must have happened when I forgot to turn the pool off at the circuit breaker and the pump ran dry after the closing for a few hours due to the intermittent timer things. But the pool guy got it looking good so I figured "a small leak, no big deal."
    - when I tried to go back to intermittent the pump would lose prime and then run dry
    - the pool guy put a check valve on
    - Pool was fine for a while but when the yellow arrived I started trying to look at leak since the vacuuming of the pool was terrible

Here's what I know about my equipment and leak
    -In the pump water pot the bubbles seem to be coming from the side before the pump because I can see through the lid.
    - I replaced the gasket and used special pool gunk to lube it. This did not fix the leak.
    - My basket is warped, although it's been like that since I bought the house so it's hard to know if it's gotten worse.
    - There is always sand in my pool, the dolphin probably sucks up about 1-2 tablespoons when it runs every day.

Here is a picture of my set up. Please tell me where to look for leaks and what to do first, I don't understand language like influent and effluent fittings. And of course the pool is green but i guess that can wait till I figure out the mechanical stuff.

Thank you,
    Reagan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Proseries S210T sand filter, 1081 pool motor? , Installed 1997, new siding in 2006, Dolphin DX3, North Atlanta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

Sounds like you may have a suction side leak since you are loosing prime.

Lets see if someone can help you figure this out.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by ugarugby14 View Post
    , I don't understand language like influent and effluent fittings. And of course the pool is green but i guess that can wait till I figure out the mechanical stuff.

Thank you,
    Reagan
    Well, using Google I searched those terms- INfluent means flowing IN, Effluent means flowing OUT. Google is your friend

When my pool was new I took a black marker and marked the pipes with arrows to help me understand and visualize the water flow into and out of my pool. You might find that useful?
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain