Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

1. Back To Top    #1

The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

After just posting a different thread I got advice to start a less complicated thread so here goes.
    First off the pool is the bane to my life. I promised myself this year I'd be on top of my chemicals and testing and it would be easy... no it still sucks.

I paid someone to close and open my pool for me so it did look beautiful at first (I wish I could pay them all the time to take care of the pool). Then it all went down hill.

-I noticed bubbles coming out of the water return valves with the water. I think this must have happened when I forgot to turn the pool off at the circuit breaker and the pump ran dry after the closing for a few hours due to the intermittent timer things. But the pool guy got it looking good so I figured "a small leak, no big deal."
    - when I tried to go back to intermittent the pump would lose prime and then run dry
    - the pool guy put a check valve on
    - Pool was fine for a while but when the yellow arrived I started trying to look at leak since the vacuuming of the pool was terrible

Here's what I know about my equipment and leak
    -In the pump water pot the bubbles seem to be coming from the side before the pump because I can see through the lid.
    - I replaced the gasket and used special pool gunk to lube it. This did not fix the leak.
    - My basket is warped, although it's been like that since I bought the house so it's hard to know if it's gotten worse.
    - There is always sand in my pool, the dolphin probably sucks up about 1-2 tablespoons when it runs every day.

Here is a picture of my set up. Please tell me where to look for leaks and what to do first, I don't understand language like influent and effluent fittings. And of course the pool is green but i guess that can wait till I figure out the mechanical stuff.

Thank you,
    Reagan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Proseries S210T sand filter, 1081 pool motor? , Installed 1997, new siding in 2006, Dolphin DX3, North Atlanta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

Sounds like you may have a suction side leak since you are loosing prime.

Lets see if someone can help you figure this out.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: The first of many problems- leak d/t dry pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by ugarugby14 View Post
    , I don't understand language like influent and effluent fittings. And of course the pool is green but i guess that can wait till I figure out the mechanical stuff.

Thank you,
    Reagan
    Well, using Google I searched those terms- INfluent means flowing IN, Effluent means flowing OUT. Google is your friend

When my pool was new I took a black marker and marked the pipes with arrows to help me understand and visualize the water flow into and out of my pool. You might find that useful?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain