how to properly lube the lid o-ring

Oct 26, 2013
Chapin, SC
I've been maintaining my pool for over 2 yrs now. I've cleaned the pump strainer basket weekly and backwash at that time as well as when my pressure gets too high. This morning for example. When I removed the lid, the o-ring came loose. After wiping it clean, blackening my hand in the process, I put it back in the groove and had to hold it in place to put the lid back on. I have two tubes of Magic Lube ii on order and intend to use it as soon as it arrives. It had never been lubed before. So, what is the best way to apply the lube? Should I put a bead in the groove then lube the o-ring itself before putting it in the groove? That should help hold it in place and prevent it from not sealing properly. Is that bead of lube in the groove over kill?
I'm getting a replacement for my si-45 swcg soon (the first one has never given an accurate salinity level in the 2 months since it was reinstalled.) Recently the instant was 6200 and the average has been 5800 since installation. That was the bad news-- the good/bad news is it has always generated chlorine regardless of the high salt level. My Taylor-1766 test kit has consistently showed my salinity to be 4200 at the highest and 3800 Monday. When I called discount salt pools Monday. They said they would be sending me a new one this week. I'll probably receive it next week. I mention this because I'm wondering if when connecting the new cell, I should apply the lube to the o-rings on them too? I have to say, I'm very happy with their customer support in taking care of my problems with the si-45 since purchase. I'm hoping the new one will resolve the salt level problem.

I just go around the O-ring putting a dab here and there and then I smear it around and get my fingers coated with the stuff. It doesn't matter how, as long as the whole thing is lubricated.

I'd put some lube on those other O-rings, too. O-rings works my getting compressed. Anything you can do to allow them to slide into position easier will only help them seal.

Don't over do it with the lubricant, a little goes a VERY LONG way, a pea size dab should be plenty for a typical pump basket seal. Put the dab on it and run it around with your fingers.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.