Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to properly lube the lid o-ring

1. Back To Top    #1

how to properly lube the lid o-ring

I've been maintaining my pool for over 2 yrs now. I've cleaned the pump strainer basket weekly and backwash at that time as well as when my pressure gets too high. This morning for example. When I removed the lid, the o-ring came loose. After wiping it clean, blackening my hand in the process, I put it back in the groove and had to hold it in place to put the lid back on. I have two tubes of Magic Lube ii on order and intend to use it as soon as it arrives. It had never been lubed before. So, what is the best way to apply the lube? Should I put a bead in the groove then lube the o-ring itself before putting it in the groove? That should help hold it in place and prevent it from not sealing properly. Is that bead of lube in the groove over kill?
    I'm getting a replacement for my si-45 swcg soon (the first one has never given an accurate salinity level in the 2 months since it was reinstalled.) Recently the instant was 6200 and the average has been 5800 since installation. That was the bad news-- the good/bad news is it has always generated chlorine regardless of the high salt level. My Taylor-1766 test kit has consistently showed my salinity to be 4200 at the highest and 3800 Monday. When I called discount salt pools Monday. They said they would be sending me a new one this week. I'll probably receive it next week. I mention this because I'm wondering if when connecting the new cell, I should apply the lube to the o-rings on them too? I have to say, I'm very happy with their customer support in taking care of my problems with the si-45 since purchase. I'm hoping the new one will resolve the salt level problem.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to properly lube the lid o-ring

I just go around the O-ring putting a dab here and there and then I smear it around and get my fingers coated with the stuff. It doesn't matter how, as long as the whole thing is lubricated.

I'd put some lube on those other O-rings, too. O-rings works my getting compressed. Anything you can do to allow them to slide into position easier will only help them seal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't over do it with the lubricant, a little goes a VERY LONG way, a pea size dab should be plenty for a typical pump basket seal. Put the dab on it and run it around with your fingers.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Richard. I really appreciate your help! You too Ike!!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter