About to be a first-time pool owner!

Jul 9, 2014
Rochester, NY
Hi all,

I'm expecting my new pool to be installed very soon-- perhaps even this week. My wife and 7-year-old son are giddy. We think this is the start of a great new chapter for our family.

I like to research things online. The "University of Google" has taught me to repair appliances and small engines, develop iPhone apps, whistle with 2 fingers, install plumbing, play the Foo Fighters "Everlong" on guitar, and many other things I had no clue about before I started reading. I have never owned a pool, so I had lots to learn when we ordered one about a month ago.

As I read various pool-related topics on the web, this site came up frequently in my search results. Generally I found the information to be of good quality. I started favoring search results from troublefreepool and visiting more and more through Google searches. Eventually I read Pool School, browsed a bunch of threads from users with great success stories, and decided this methodology was how I would run my pool. Then I read Pool School again, and little by little the forum threads began to make more sense.

My TF100 test kit arrived last week. My son and I used it to measure the pH (7.2), TA (90), and CH (100) of our tap water. Figuring out the kit and doing the first tests was a fun father/son activity. He LOVES the Speed Stir!

I suppose there's a lot to running a pool that can only be learned through hands-on experience, but I feel very well prepared to start. This website is the biggest reason why. The impressive knowledge here is equalled by the passion for teaching. I'm going to love having a pool, and I think I'm going to be good at maintaining it... thanks to all of you!

Welcome! :wave:

Already have a test kit and a speedstir, huh?
attachment.php

HappyAuer said:
It sounds like a good test kit is one of the best investments I can make, so I wanted to have one right from the get-go.
Yes it is. Smart move!:goodjob: You are very well-prepared to start managing your pool and will soon see how easy it can be.

And welcome to TFP!:wave:

Starting off on the right foot and you can't go wrong from here on out!

Take lots of pics of your install and post them up!

Welcome to TFP! :cool: