Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to be a first-time pool owner!

1. Back To Top    #1

About to be a first-time pool owner!

Hi all,

I'm expecting my new pool to be installed very soon-- perhaps even this week. My wife and 7-year-old son are giddy. We think this is the start of a great new chapter for our family.

I like to research things online. The "University of Google" has taught me to repair appliances and small engines, develop iPhone apps, whistle with 2 fingers, install plumbing, play the Foo Fighters "Everlong" on guitar, and many other things I had no clue about before I started reading. I have never owned a pool, so I had lots to learn when we ordered one about a month ago.

As I read various pool-related topics on the web, this site came up frequently in my search results. Generally I found the information to be of good quality. I started favoring search results from troublefreepool and visiting more and more through Google searches. Eventually I read Pool School, browsed a bunch of threads from users with great success stories, and decided this methodology was how I would run my pool. Then I read Pool School again, and little by little the forum threads began to make more sense.

My TF100 test kit arrived last week. My son and I used it to measure the pH (7.2), TA (90), and CH (100) of our tap water. Figuring out the kit and doing the first tests was a fun father/son activity. He LOVES the Speed Stir!

I suppose there's a lot to running a pool that can only be learned through hands-on experience, but I feel very well prepared to start. This website is the biggest reason why. The impressive knowledge here is equalled by the passion for teaching. I'm going to love having a pool, and I think I'm going to be good at maintaining it... thanks to all of you!
    Sharkline Oceanic AG pool: 14.2k gallon, 15'x30' oval, built 7/17/14
    Pentair SD40 sand filter w/ 1HP dual-speed OptiFlo pump
    Raypak 266k BTU NG heater
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to be a first-time pool owner!

Welcome!

Already have a test kit and a speedstir, huh?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Richard! Yes, I want to start things off properly. It sounds like a good test kit is one of the best investments I can make, so I wanted to have one right from the get-go.
    TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAuer
    It sounds like a good test kit is one of the best investments I can make, so I wanted to have one right from the get-go.
    Yes it is. Smart move! You are very well-prepared to start managing your pool and will soon see how easy it can be.

And welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Starting off on the right foot and you can't go wrong from here on out!

Take lots of pics of your install and post them up!

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Bo and Casey. I definitely plan on taking lots of pictures. We're putting in a pool deck too, so our yard is going to have a big transformation. Can't wait to show it off!
    TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

We can't wait to see it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Look forward to it!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.