Intex AGP conversion from 533 GPH filter to 2,500 GPH

Jul 8, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I was hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 12 x 30 Intex above ground pool. The stock filter doesn't really do anything. I want to upgrade to the filter to the 2,500 GPH Intex filter. I saw a youtube video on exactly how to do it using the hose adapter b which converts the 1.25" intake and outage to adapt to the 1.5" filter hoses that come with the 1,500 gph or higher filters. My question is that they also have these plungers valves which cut off the water for replacing or the filter cartridges etc... My pool came with a plug that I can use by inserting into the intakes. Must I buy the plunger or can the hoses fit right onto the hose adapter B? I am asking because the filter cost 79.99 on Amazon and no longer comes with the plunger valves. The valves which are sold separately cost an additional 90 bucks. I would love to skip them If I could for now.

Thanks,

Adam

Welcome to TFP!

You could use the plugs, however, the hose adapters have a nasty habit of coming loose from the pool, especially with the 633T (2500 gph) pump or larger. They are only a collet type fit to your original suction and return openings.

Your best bet would be to purchase these items:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Large-S...04902149&sr=8-6&keywords=intex+large+strainer

It is OK to enlarge the holes for the original suction and return to fit these, you won't hurt your liner. The plunger valves will fit on these.

As Charlie says, you can enlarge the holes. Many are very intimidated by the thought of cutting the liner. But he's right, you will not damage the liner. It's the better option in my opine ion. I have a thread here somewhere that shows how I went about enlarging my intake and return holes. If interested let me know and I'll dig it out.

Thank you both so much for the replies! I don't mind enlarging the hole in the liner, my only issue is that the pool is full! If I went with the 1,500 GPH would the adapters then work better? I have a 12 x 30 pool. I believe it's the smallest intex pool that isn't easy set. They gave me a 500 GPH pump that doesn't do anything at all. I think 1,500 GPH would do it anyway I just wanted way overkill!

Thanks again for responding I appreciate the help.

You may find the same problem, but to a lesser degree.

Any way you go with this, do consider upgrading your filter cartridge to a better unit. For the A or C cart, use the Unicel C-4607, for the B cart, use the Unicel C-5315. Filbur numbers are FC-3710 and FC-3752 respectively. You will be glad you did.

Each of these upgraded cartridges will filter so much better, and are cleanable. If taken care of, these will last you many seasons.

Save your 500gph pump, it can work in an emergency to keep even a little circulation in your pool.

Plunger valves are optional, with the adapters. If you keep the small suction and returns on the pool, you can still use the little black caps.

Here's an option for you. Run this season with the adapters, and if you find you want better flow, install the large fittings to the pool in other places on the pool leaving the small in place. Use the small pump for solar heating if that is feasible in your location.

If I had thought about that myself, I'd have left those in on my pool for that very reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.