Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to fix this cracked coupling

1. Back To Top    #1

How to fix this cracked coupling

I am not sure how to fix this cracked coupling considering its current setup. I appreciate any recommendation.

Jand Value over 2" coupling -->Coupling (black arrow; 1" crack below the arrow and sucking air) --> Pump

The mess was created my me. I tried sealing the crack with PVC cement and epoxy, it didn't work. I am not sure where to cut and how to fix this.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to fix this cracked coupling

It's on the suction side. What about wrapping with a rubber from an inner tube then use a worm drive hose clamp on it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I should have tried that option first, now with epoxy cured like a rock and it is still sucking air in, I cannot to do any more patches I guess.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not sure what connections are threaded and which are not. If the pipe is screwed into the pump then possibly you can unscrew from pump. then unscrew the cracked assembly from the Jandy never lube valve, and then rebuild from pump to valve. when rebuilding consider putting a union in there.
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

5. Back To Top    #5

There are total of 4 different fittings from Jandy Value to Pump, only the union on the pump end is threaded, everything else just glued using PVC cement.
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

6. Back To Top    #6

I would take and remove the screws from the Jandy and remove the valve's innards. Then I'd measure how much of the Jandy port sticks into the PVC. I'd then cut the PVC at that length and you'll end up with a ring of PVC still on the Jandy port. Remove all the other piping back to the pump union.

At this point you could glue an adapter into the interior diameter of the Jandy port (I think a 1.5" PVC pipe size will fit). That adaptor or another in combination with it can bring your piping back up to 2" to connect with your pump. you'll need a new union half 'cause there's no salvaging the existing union.

The reduction from 2" to 1.5" for that short segment isn't the greatest solution but I don't think it won't cause much harm and it will get you going for the time being.

A different, but very advanced approach would be to heat, cut, and peel off the 2" PVC ring remaining on the Jandy valve. That would get you back to 2" pipe all the way, but that is truly an advanced approach. That might be something a plumber may tackle for you.

Good Luck
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

^^ Thank You, got an idea.
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

8. Back To Top    #8

I have been able in the past to cut the pipe back near the joint, then carefully cut a groove on the inside of the pipe being carefully not to cut the fitting. You can then take a flat screw driver and pry between the pipe and fitting and break it loose.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

9. Back To Top    #9

I haven't tried it yet but I have bought some stuff called rescue tape that is supposed to seal water leaks on PVC up to 100 psi.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

10. Back To Top    #10

A little late to the party but if you are still considering options, may I recommend getting this product:
    http://www.plast-aid.com/
    It is an indispensable product to have when needing a fix for plastics, pvc, cpvc, etc. (not good for abs), even in a wet environment. It has solved many leak issues for me.

Regards,
    -Gary
    12,000 gallon, tile finish, in-ground pool with spill over spa.
    Pump - Sta-Rite 1.5 HP
    Filter - Hayward Star-Clear C-1200
    SWG - AutoPilot Soft Touch
    Pool Skim
    Zodiac MX8
    BBB since 11/2008
    South Florida