Amount of bleach

Jul 8, 2014
Lone Oak, Tx
My pool is roughly 14,000 gallons. I don't remember dimensions, someone told me when I bought the house. I also had someone tell me to use bleach instead of spending tons of money on all the other cleaning products. How much bleach do I need to use daily/weekly??:confused:

It's going to depend a bit on amount of sun vs shade your pool gets, CYA levels etc, but the norm seems to be 2-4 ppm of FC per day.

For a 14,000 gallon pool and 8.25% bleach that would be somewhere around 1/2 gallon per day (range would be ~40-80 oz per day).

As bridgman pointed out, the chlorine consumption of a pool varies depending on many factors. First of all, you can forget about weekly. A pool needs to be fed daily.

To know how much it nees to be fed you need to know it's current chemical condition. If you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. The pool store kits won't cut it.

Do some reading over at the Pool School (there is a link at the top of the page) and ask away with the questions.

Welcome!

If you haven't already done so, get your test kit ordered. The TF-100 or K-2006 are the ones you want or check with your favorite search engine. You can get them at http://tftestkits.net/. You can see a comparison of them at Test Kits Compared. Don't be put off by the cost, as this kit is the backbone of the TFPC method, and you will save the cost of the kit in the first algae bloom you avoid, compared to shopping and taking advice from the pool store.

Go to the Pool School link and read it all. Keep your Free Chlorine up until your kit arrives, and hopefully, you will be able to do this before you start to lose your pool. The TFPC method is all about prevention through chemistry using common household products rather than solving problems as they develop using exotic chemicals that cost a small fortune over time.

Read the Getting started and TFPC Method forums, as they will have a lot of the frequent problems we have all run into covered.

Good luck and if you have questions, there is always someone here to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.