Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit results VS pool supply store numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit results VS pool supply store numbers

Hello all, got a Taylor 100 test kit as recommended by the forum. Been using it about a week now, the only test that is hard for me is the CYA test. It's hard to see exactly when the black dot becomes clear. But that's not my question. These are the numbers I came up with with the test kit. The sample was taken 1 ft below the surface and tested within 5 minutes. I ran the tests indoors. The pool is an above ground 12X24 with 7000 gallons. Hayward sand filter. The water condition is slightly hazy toward the bottom.

FC=5
    CC=1
    PH=7.5
    Hardness=375
    TA=130
    CYA=85
    Borate=30

Took the same sample to the pool store to see what they came up with. They use a computerized analysis (brand unknown) and here's their results.

FC=1.74
    CC=.58
    PH=7.3
    Hardness=136
    TA=98
    CYA=28
    Copper/Iron=0ppm
    Borate=60

So my question is this: That normal to be that far apart? The only close one is the PH. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit results VS pool supply store numbers

Welcome to TFP!

That kind of wildly wrong test results is sadly extremely common from pool stores. Trust your own results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Try watching this video and see if it helps you with the CYA test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs

Other than that, what Jason says above.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, you are starting to see why we say free pool store testing is worth less than what you pay for it
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Try watching this video and see if it helps you with the CYA test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs

Other than that, what Jason says above.
    I was watching a couple of the other videos and I noticed that the video differs from my instruction RE the calcium test. Mine says 10 drops and the video says 20 drops. Which is correct?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icawkIa8jtg

6. Back To Top    #6

Computerized test results are often the most inaccurate due to the need for re calibration on a regular basis. The computer running the test has to be calibrated correctly in order give accurate results.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Motordoctor View Post
    I was watching a couple of the other videos and I noticed that the video differs from my instruction RE the calcium test. Mine says 10 drops and the video says 20 drops. Which is correct?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icawkIa8jtg
    They are both correct. One gives a 1 drop = 10 ppm result, and the other gives a 1 drop = 25 ppm.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    They are both correct. One gives a 1 drop = 10 ppm result, and the other gives a 1 drop = 25 ppm.
    The accuracy the same either way? The reason I ask is this: I added some calcium to the pool based on what the pool math calculator told me to add and the number I'm getting is much higher than what it should be. I think the first test I ran when I got the kit was 500 on the hardness measurement. Now I'm getting 375. One fact though: I added calcium based on the pool stores measurement (they showed it was low) since I didn't have the test kit yet. The pool store is still showing a low calcium reading while the test kit's numbers are high. Thanks for your help.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Some months ago, A group of TFP Pool Nerds decided a resolution of 10 ppm for CH was a bit too precise, wasted reagent, and served no meaningful purpose that 25 ppm resolution couldn't do. We simply changed the instruction cards in the subsequent new kits. All kits from June 1, 2014 or so should have the new 25 ppm instruction cards within.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I had some issues with the CYA test as well and haven't had great confidence in how I read the results. This has bothered me for years, so I watched the TFTestkit video AND I ordered the CYA standard solution I found at TFTestkits.net (http://tftestkits.net/R-7065-CYA-Sta...ution-p34.html) and practiced a whole bunch with that until I found the lighting etc. that worked for me to get consistent results. THEN I started testing my pool water and I am much more confident.
    Salinda
    owner of ~37,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Intelliflo VS+ filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, Jandy Aqualink RS-6 with iAqualink upgrade, The Pool Cleaner 4x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils, Solar-Breeze NX.