Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to winterize an IG pool in the SW?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to winterize an IG pool in the SW?

Is there a post out there with details for winterizing a South-Southwest locale pool?

We in the warmer climates are admittedly blessed to not have nasty freezing winters like those of you in the East and North. Last year I didn't do a darn thing to the pool over the non-swimming winter months except turn the SWG on real low (4 hours of runtime every other day and only 20% on the SWG) and just added acid to keep the pH below 7.8 when I would remember to actually check it. My Pentair system has anti-freeze automation which auto-magically runs all pumps on low speed when the air temp drops below 36F and the IC40 SWG has it's own cold water shutoff protection feature.

Thinking ahead, I'd actually like to have a more rational plan and I would love to hear some advice from the experts.

Perhaps the TFP Admin gods could bless us thin-blooded types with our very own sticky post for future reference.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to winterize an IG pool in the SW?

None of us bother to close...just like you Why would you want to? Then you'd be looking at an ugly cover all winter.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    None of us bother to close...just like you Why would you want to? Then you'd be looking at an ugly cover all winter.
    Love the "Eye of Mordor" avatar!!

Yeah, I hear you on that point. As well, I have an attached spa that I do like to use well into the cold winter months so it's not like I could truly close the pool entirely. I guess I was thinking along the lines of not having to run the pool pumps at all except for the spa and so, if there is a good way to ensure the water stays sanitized without needing to waste the electricity on pumps and SWGs

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think you can really close the pool while leaving the spa open...and even if you could you'd probably spend far more on a cover, etc, than you would save on electricity.

love the minecraft pig.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden