Very Low CYA

Mar 18, 2013
Hello,
I've been here before and you good folks helped me with some serious balancing problems I was having about over a year ago. I have the recommended testing kit and it seems my CYA level is either extremely low, or non-existent. after thoroughly mixing the solution, I have completely filled the skinny test tube and can still see the black dot quite well.

The problem I had over a year ago was off the chart CYA levels due to years of using chlorine pucks in my 8200 gallon above ground pool. I had chronically low ph that was evidently destroying my filter cartridges in short order. I have one large cartridge in my Sta-Rite system and was having to replace new ones in less than a year because deposits caused by the acidic water were clogging the element and my water wasn't circulating properly. Couldn't even keep the water clear running the filter 24 hours a day! This went on for several years while I spent a small fortune in chemicals and cartridges. I was just about ready to drain the thing and give up when I found you folks here at TFP. You saved my pool, and me from financial ruin!;)

So anyway, I drained probably 3/4 of my water and started using liquid chlorine. These days my pool is crystal clear and filter pressure nice and low. but I'm thinking I need to bring this stabilizer up a bit. After all the problems I had I'm a little nervous about doing this, as it was the cause of all my troubles to begin with. (Don't want to go back there!!!). So I just wanted some guidance on the safest way to add CYA to my type of pool without going overboard, as well as any particular product type you might recommend. Thanks so much for all of your help, past and present. If it wasn't for you all, I would have given up long ago.

Jeff

Wow, I can understand your apprehension. You certainly do need some though.

A good product is the HTH from WalMart called Stabilizer/Conditioner. Follow the directions on the back for 10,000 gallons and add it to a sock. You can take the sock and hang it over your return or, you can stand at the side and massage the CYA into the water til it's dissolved.

It's important not to have too much, as you went through your nightmare last year. It's also problematic to have to little as you won't hold chlorine. A good range is anywhere from 30-50ppm. If your pool is enjoying some shade, I'd shoot for 30 and go from there. My pool is 60ppm as my pool bakes in the sun all day long and I over shot by 10ppm. :shock: lol

I have the recommended testing kit and it seems my CYA level is either extremely low, or non-existent. after thoroughly mixing the solution, I have completely filled the skinny test tube and can still see the black dot quite well.
When was the last time you added CYA?

Please fill in your city and state. It helps us give you better advice.

Casey, I am new to this forum and certainly a far cry from a pool expert, but I have some questions regarding your advice above. Rain6460 (Rain for short) is using liquid chlorine after being traumatized by the high cyanuric acid levels containing Dichlor or Trichlor. My understanding is that virtually all granular chlorine products and most chlorinating tablets contain Dichlor or Trichlor. In fact, I am in a situation just like Rain having recently purchased a house where the original owner used granular or tablet Dichlor or Trichlor. My cyanuric acid levels are over 300 and on top of this issue my water supply is a low producing well. But I realize I have to drain at least 50% of the water and replace it. With Rain, why not advice him NOT to solely use liquid chlorine but rather to use Dichlor or Trichlor while monitoring his cyanuric acid levels. In fact, why not ONLY use Dichlor or Trichlor and after he reaches 30 ppm of cyanuric acid THEN switch to calcium hypochlorite and/or liquid chlorine to prevent further ↑ of cyanuric acid. Simply titrate the levels of cyanuric acid selectively using or not using Trichlor or Dichlor. What are your constructively critical comments about this suggestion from a novice.

You can use dichlor or trichlor until CYA is correct, I've done it myself. But, you have to use PoolMath and a good test kit to monitor what you've added and the results of the additions. I do not recommend using CalHypo unless your CH is low in a plaster pool, and the same as above applies.

Thanks RobbieH. With what you have said, let me ask further questions.

Given my high CA levels and plans to exchange water with well water that has "low" CH, and assuming that this diluting process brings both CA and CH down to acceptable levels, what downside do you see to CalHypo given that I really do not wish to again have to drain pool water. It seems my only options are to use liquid chlorine and apply directly to pool or to look into buying a Stenner pump to do this in an automated fashion. For those of us with high CA and NOT wanting to repeat this same problem, I think getting solid info on the Stenner pump would be very important. Any info or links on this would be helpful. I have googled this but so far am getting confusing info. To me, I would think that a major problem for most pool owners who are chlorinating and have issues with CA could be avoided totally (especially with water shortages) by using liquid chlorine and an automated Stenner dispenser. Your thoughts.

Lastly, is there a downside of using the water I drain from the pool, if collected in rain barrels, to irrigate fruit trees and/or plants on my property?

Thanks Robbie. As suggested by Stephen, this was going to be my next question...At the time I stopped using the tablets and started using liquid, I had just bought a big bucket of tablets. Would it be ok to use them while carefully monitoring my CYA, until such point I reach the recommended level, and then discontinue their use? I get the feeling it's probably going to take some time to get up to even 30ppm, as my CYA seems to be non-existent at the moment. Thanks

Rain, if you would post all your important pool details in your sig, it would help us immensely! You could use the tabs if you monitored your cya closely. You're right it could take some time to get it up to 30. If you're starting out at 0 it will take 4 8 oz pucks to get you close. If I were you, I'd put them in a floater which could take a couple weeks to dissolve. But, it's doable. And if it's say 20, the most you'll see is 50. Keep the rest to use when you go on vacation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.