Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Needs Replacing- what size with solar panels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Needs Replacing- what size with solar panels?

I currently have a 12,000 gal. in ground pool which I'm having refinished and a new pump installed. The old one is 16 yrs old with a new 1.5 HP motor that's 3 -4 yrs old. It appears that 1/12 ping was used under pool.I also have 7 4' x 10' solar panels on the 1 story roof.

MY question is what size pump will handle this? Some pool refinishers have said 1.0 hp is enough, and some say 1.5 is better. Which will save me money and operate efficiently? Currently my cartridge filter runs at about 14 psi.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Pump Needs Replacing- what size with solar panels?

Any pump will handle a 1 story install. Mine are on a two story roof and I am using a 1/2 HP.

The smaller the pump, the less energy it will use so unless you have a spa, go with as small as you can and a two speed would help too.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner