Rain water to fill pool?

LisaT

Apr 8, 2014
Florida Keys
We are about a week away from filling up our newly constructed shotcrete pool. Is there any problem combining rain water with regular water from the hose when doing the initial fill? Would love to hear your opinions. thanks!

No problem at all, just strain it trough something to get the chunks out. we have members that live in areas with drought and water restrictions that do this to maintain the levels in their pools.

Ike

Great question, was wondering about this yesterday. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One.lol of my projects is to direct rain water from the roof downspouts into 1 or more 55 gal drums, filter, float switch then pump to the garden & yard and eventually pool with the extra water. :)

Thanks for your responses. We have a 1000 gallon cistern that fills up every time it storms down here, which is sometimes twice a day. We have a big pool to fill so every little bit will help. Now that we're getting close we're happy to focus on water issues rather than the crooked pool, uneven deck, and crazy pool builder! But all in all it looks great and as soon as I can figure out how to get photos from my i phone to my samsung laptop, I'll post some. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you ShadDixon. We are so excited to soon be swimming. Our home is on the water, but its only about 3 feet deep out there and this time of year the water is about 95 degrees so we are very anxious to get this thing done!

Just yesterday I came across an article talking about collecting rain water and that it's restricted or even illegal in a few states. How restricted depends on the state and local laws. That was something I never knew or even thought of. There was an exceptional case where someone was collecting enough to fill a large pond, way bigger than a few pools in size to use for fishing. He was actually ticketed and made to stop.

It has something to do with the rights of someone downstream having a claim on the water. Yup even though you're not talking about being on a river and diverting or damming the creak, stream, river ... it falls under some law because of the way that law was written. Apparently it was related to gold miners using water to blast away dirt looking for gold.

Here is a link that has some info for each state. I think it's from 2016 but if you're thinking of using rainwater it might be a place to start. The big thing I would be concerned of is a neighbor, home association, ... someone with too much time on their hands or that somehow your setup sticks out or is somehow depriving someone else of water.
Bottom line; check your local laws.

Rainwater harvesting regulations state by state | Rain water harvesting and slow sand water filters

U.S. Dept of energy Rainwater Harvesting Map with info: Rainwater Harvesting Regulations Map | Department of Energy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.