Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain water to fill pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain water to fill pool?

We are about a week away from filling up our newly constructed shotcrete pool. Is there any problem combining rain water with regular water from the hose when doing the initial fill? Would love to hear your opinions. thanks!
    Shotcrete IG, 880 sq. ft., 32,000 gallons,, 3.5 - 5.5 deep, SWG, Jandy 140000 Heat Pump, 1 1/2 HP Jandy, 36 sq. ft. DE Jandy filter with an attached spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain water to fill pool?

Certainly no issues at all! Chemistry will be the same and all will be adjusted to proper levels after testing.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

3. Back To Top    #3

No problem at all, just strain it trough something to get the chunks out. we have members that live in areas with drought and water restrictions that do this to maintain the levels in their pools.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

+1, what they said.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Rain water can also be great if your supply water (either city or well) has high TA or CH values as rain water is low in both.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

How can you stop it from helping?
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Great question, was wondering about this yesterday. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One.lol of my projects is to direct rain water from the roof downspouts into 1 or more 55 gal drums, filter, float switch then pump to the garden & yard and eventually pool with the extra water.
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

8. Back To Top    #8

What's the ph like on rain water? Anyone ever check? Mines been steady at 7.5.... And we have had over a month of rain....
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for your responses. We have a 1000 gallon cistern that fills up every time it storms down here, which is sometimes twice a day. We have a big pool to fill so every little bit will help. Now that we're getting close we're happy to focus on water issues rather than the crooked pool, uneven deck, and crazy pool builder! But all in all it looks great and as soon as I can figure out how to get photos from my i phone to my samsung laptop, I'll post some. Thanks again.
    Shotcrete IG, 880 sq. ft., 32,000 gallons,, 3.5 - 5.5 deep, SWG, Jandy 140000 Heat Pump, 1 1/2 HP Jandy, 36 sq. ft. DE Jandy filter with an attached spa

10. Back To Top    #10

Lisa,,, Obviously a USB cord to the laptop. If ya dont have one Get TapAtalk to chat on the forum. Its free and easy to upload pics to the forum. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapa...307880732?mt=8
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

11. Back To Top    #11

Pic 5.jpg
    pic 7.jpg
    If these 2 pictures show up it will be a miracle! Anyway, the deck is finished and hopefully equipment will show up in a few days and then we plaster. Yay!
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

I see 3 pics .. Nice !!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the help TH1Racer. I think I still need some practice with the photos!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by TH1Racer View Post
    Great question, was wondering about this yesterday. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One.lol of my projects is to direct rain water from the roof downspouts into 1 or more 55 gal drums, filter, float switch then pump to the garden & yard and eventually pool with the extra water.

Nice project!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you ShadDixon. We are so excited to soon be swimming. Our home is on the water, but its only about 3 feet deep out there and this time of year the water is about 95 degrees so we are very anxious to get this thing done!

16. Back To Top    #16

Yay -- you're almost there! In the home stretch!
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

17. Back To Top    #17

Rain water to fill pool?

What a beautiful setup!
    Can't wait to see the finished pics!
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit