Raypak RP2100 R265 (old analog dials) upgrade, repair or interface for automation?

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I have a Raypak RP2100 that still heats fine for our spa. The problem is it's a 1997 model and it has the potentiometers for temperature and setting the temp is a cr@p-shoot. It's either too hot or not hot enough most of the time. Since I want to install automation on the pool, I am hoping I can interface to this heater and avoid these dials altogether or other cost-effective fixes.

Here is my quiestions:

1. Does anybody know of an automation system that will successfully control this heater?

2. If no automation available, has anybody successfully fixed the erratic temp setting without replacing the PC Board (pricey)? I planned to remove and clean it but have not done so yet.

3. Any other creative "hacks" for remote control or automation using this heater? (I'm thinking of at least on/off with Insteon or such)

Thanks.

Any automation system should work just fine. You could go as cheap as a Pentair Suntouch or the Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave if you just wanted something simple. Then you can set the heater to the highest setting and let the Suntouch control the temp via a remote. It would probably run you over $1000 for a setup like that. Not much else you could do for less, I think. Keep in mind that at that cost you are half way to a new heater. If you bought a new Raypak heater, it would be pretty easy to swap it out. Plus you would have a new digital unit with a nice digital display.

So it's really a coin toss as to what you wanted to do. With the age that your heater is at, I would opt for the replacement heater but that's just my opinion. You've gotten great life out of that unit.

Paul, So are you saying that just about any automation system I choose to use (suntouch, intellitouch, or comparable from the other manufacturers) will still be able to control the heater and temp? Would you mind a quick explanation of how that is connected to the heater? I was under the impression that the automation controls had to have an interface that connected to the device.

As for a new heater; we live in Austin Texas and this heater get's used very little for spa use only so I'd really like to avoid spending money for that.

The automation systems utilizes a two wire connected into your heater to turn the heater on and then the automaton control is what monitors the temp via sensor inserted into the PVC pipe by your pump. Once the temp sensor senses the temperature you have it set to, it then turns the heater off. It then monitors the temp and turns the heater on as needed to maintain the temperature you have it set to. All of these automation system will interface with your heater.

What I would do is connect the two wire into the on/off switch, leave the switch set to on, and then the automation system will control the on/off function of the heater. Turn the dial(s) for the temp all the way to the highest setting and then you are ready.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.