Pump Issues Revisited

Jun 28, 2013
Augusta, GA
About a year ago, I was having some strange issues with my pump: When turned on, it would make a noise similar to bad bearings, then trip the breaker. It would only do this under conditions where there was little return pressure (Backwash, Rinse). My solution was to constrict the backwash hose for a second, and the grinding noise would go away and the pump would operate as normal. For some reason this condition rectified itself after a few months.

Fastforward to this weekend, the problem returned, but now on the normal filter function. I checked the baskets, and there are no obstructions.

My current solution is to stick a finget in the return eyeball in order to increase return pressure while I turn the pump on. It seems that this increased return pressure helps the pump 'work through' the gringing noise and then contunues to operate normally.

To sum it up: Increased return makes my pump not trip the breaker.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.