Convert a Vari-Flo Valve???

Jul 8, 2014
columbia/sc
First, thank you for all your help and replies...

Second please bare with me with the short story so that you can understand my question...

Moved into a house with an inground pool. Previous owner explained to me that they just installed a new hayward DE3620 filter. i haven't had any issue untill this year. I noticed DE blowing back into pool, opened filter up and noticed some of the filter bags had torn and ordered and replaced the entire set. Shortly afterwards, more DE in the pool. Opened filter and found the top collector manifold had cracked. Ordered and replaced it. About 3 weeks later more DE in pool... Opened filter found the manifold cracked again. As i began to really look at how this filter was working (engineering background) I wondered why they would have the water being forced INTO the bags. Not a smart design I thought. As i dug deeper, I realized that the system was suppose to let the water in the bottom and then go out the top. My system wasn't operating this way. As I started to look at my multi-port valve, i found a tag that reads "For Sand Filters Only". The light bulb went off... The previous owner had an old sand filter and replaced it with a DE filter and kept the same Vari-Flo Valve which has the water enter at the top and out the bottom.

My question is, do i need to purchase an entire new Vari-Flow valve assembly or can I change the "guts" in the valve so that the water enters the bottom and goes out the top????

Additional information - The DE valve part number is SP0710XR50 and the sand filter valve part number is SPX0710X32. These side mounted valves look identical. I tried to dig into the parts on whats inside them but what I can find is that they may even use the same replacement parts. So this even confused me more. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.